PDA

View Full Version : powerbook and hdtv

JFreak
Aug 6, 2004, 02:56 AM
before i dig any deeper, has anyone tried to set a 15" powerbook to the 1280x720 (720p) hdtv resolution? it's not supported via standard display drivers, so some 3rd party hack would be needed... with the standard display drivers i have to use lower resolution and let the projector scale the image :(

the reason i ask is because i just recently purchased such a video projector that can do 720p natively, and i'd very much like to plug my powerbook into it using the projector's native resolution. the mobility radeon 9600 will most probably support it, so it's totally a software issue.

i wonder has anyone here already done this before?

superbovine
Aug 6, 2004, 08:57 AM
search the forums

FriarCrazy
Aug 6, 2004, 09:02 AM
I use my PB 12" with my Sony WEGA 32" widescreen HD. The WEGA has DVI, so connecting it is a breeze. It works pretty well, however the in the WEGA manual it said that the DVI was not ment for connection to a computer, rather you are supposed to use to connect a Hi-Def reciever (which I normally do). I guess that the DVI is a little messed up, because the picture goes beyond the edges of the TV by about 1 inch when you set it at the HD resolution of 1900 something. With a little tweaking, you should be able to get your projector to work.

BTW even though the edges are cut off, it looks marvelous for movies and such.

MisterMe
Aug 6, 2004, 11:18 AM
before i dig any deeper, has anyone tried to set a 15" powerbook to the 1280x720 (720p) hdtv resolution? it's not supported via standard display drivers, so some 3rd party hack would be needed... with the standard display drivers i have to use lower resolution and let the projector scale the image :(

the reason i ask is because i just recently purchased such a video projector that can do 720p natively, and i'd very much like to plug my powerbook into it using the projector's native resolution. the mobility radeon 9600 will most probably support it, so it's totally a software issue.

i wonder has anyone here already done this before?The PowerBook's built-in monitor is not 16:9. When you connect to an external monitor, you should be able to set that monitor to the resolution that you need. The limitation to having an external monitor with a different resolution than your primary monitor is that you cannot mirror them. Ideally, a 720p monitor displays at 1280 x 720. When connected via DVI, some HDTV monitors display exclusively at this resolution even though their native resolutions may be different. Your problem seems to be that your monitor may have rectangular pixels rather than the square pixels that you expect. You may have to futz a bit with with the available resolutions to get your projection monitor to display a complete image. However, I think that you have already decided that it is well worth it.

fegge
Aug 25, 2004, 04:44 AM
Hi

Where can you find hdtv stuff for Mac..i want to see how it looks on my projector

Thank you for help!

Fegge,Sweden

punkmac
Aug 25, 2004, 05:05 AM
I use my PB 12" with my Sony WEGA 32" widescreen HD. The WEGA has DVI, so connecting it is a breeze. It works pretty well, however the in the WEGA manual it said that the DVI was not ment for connection to a computer, rather you are supposed to use to connect a Hi-Def reciever (which I normally do). I guess that the DVI is a little messed up, because the picture goes beyond the edges of the TV by about 1 inch when you set it at the HD resolution of 1900 something. With a little tweaking, you should be able to get your projector to work.

BTW even though the edges are cut off, it looks marvelous for movies and such.

Crt tvs usually overscan the picture anywhere from 5-10%. This is why you are loosing an inch.