PDA

View Full Version : a few questions and advice on midi controllers

ashjamben
Dec 6, 2009, 11:06 AM
so i'm trying to get a nice studio environment in my house and want a couple of extra things for controllers for doing mix's on the fly rather than messing around with automation.

first thing first abit of advice. i need a new midi controllers, as my cheapo oxygen has conked out on me. i'm thinking of getting either a novation remote sl25 compact or an m audio axiom 25. i'm more geared towards the novation as it's a little cheaper and the automapping is a nice feature, with the display.

also, i'm after a nice knob/fader midi controller for ableton live work. my research has brought up the uc33e and the behringer bcf2000. both have their pros and cons, i think i prefer the behringer unit but so many people swear by the uc33e for ableton work it's hard to ignore it.

basically here's what i want advice on, the novation midi keyboard can out quite a few years ago, is namm 2010 gonna be a time novation release it's replacement? or has the nocturn kinda already done that? also, same kinda situation with the know/fader controller. the behringer has been out for nearly 4 years, so is probably due an update, should i wait? also, the uc33e has been discontinued, but i know some places online that still have stock of it. should i get it quick or wait/get something else? apparently the x-session is m-audio's uc33e replacement, but that isn't my cup of tea.

any advice on those would be great.

also, one more question. if i have more than one MIDI controller hooked up to my macbook will there be any conflicts? i've got midi on my interface, and a powered usb hub, plus obviously usb ports on my macbook, is there any 'best' way to hook stuff up. i know my audio interface should always have it's own dedicated usb port, but not sure about midi controllers?

any help on that would be much appreciated.

thanks for reading

Liquorpuki
Dec 7, 2009, 10:19 AM
Other than the Oxygen (mine broke too), I don't own any of those controllers, but you shouldn't have any conflicts plugging them all in at the same time. I use a KX8 and an MPK as my keyboard controllers. I also use V-Drums as a drumset controller at the same time.

You can set all controllers as Global (they all play whatever patch you have selected) or you can assign a channel to each so they can play different patches (Oxygen = Piano, Novation = Bass, etc)