PDA

View Full Version : Button quits BAR Honda for BMW Williams

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 05:13 AM
http://www.formula1.com/news/2006.html

Wowser... I never saw this one coming, Button's quitting BAR Honda for BMW Williams.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Seems to be on a contractual technicality, that has allowed Sir Frank to nip in and steal him from under BAR's nose, it doesn't make Jenson look all that loyal though does it?? only 2 races ago he was waxing rhapsodic about staying with BAR and winning the WDC, now he ditches the team, and appears to be refusing to talk to David Richards?? either way you've got to take the best opportunities that arise and in the long term BMW Williams are a better bet than BAR Honda for challenging for the WDC and WCC.

Well it looks like we've got some excitement next year with a couple of inter-team wars simmering nicely, at McLaren we have Kimi Vs. Montoya, and now Williams with Webber Vs. Button, I'm expecting Kimi to whoop Montoya... but the Webber/Button fight is going to be harder to call, should make next year alot more interesting that's for sure! both drivers are smooth as silk behind the wheel!

So then, with Williams signing Button, it looks like Mika won't be making a comeback with them, could it be possible that he'll join BAR??? that's the only other top team, as I'm not expecting Toyota to be fighting for wins next year and Mika has too much to lose from trailing around the back of the pack in a Toyota at his age. It also cuts off another team for DC.

DC for Toyota or Jaguar I think... he'd be good for Toyota because DC is rumoured to be very good at developing cars, Jaguar have expressed an interest in him, but DC is expecting the team to pony up the dirty $$$ to finance his private jet, but also have the team contribute to his personal mobile home... yeah right Davey that will happen!!

What with Toyota dropping De Matta for Zonda, Williams dropping the 'tusks' and Ferrari halting F2004 chassis developments, the last 6 races are looking damn good!!!

Now the only thing I'd like to see, is Liuzzi replacing Rubens at Ferrari next year, this Liuzzi is looking like he could be the next Schu judging by his F3000 dominance at the moment, so get him in the 'Dream Team' and let him learn from the master... Ferrari 2008... Liuzzi Vs Rossi??? I wouldn't bet against it! ;)

Thoughts??

edesignuk
Aug 6, 2004, 05:18 AM
I was really surprised to read this in the paper this morning. He's been doing so well with BAR. Hope he can keep it up with Williams.

Schumacher still rules the track though :cool:

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 05:33 AM
I was really surprised to read this in the paper this morning.

Not as surprised as Dave Richards was... :eek: :p :p :p

kerb
Aug 6, 2004, 05:43 AM
Schumacher still rules the track though

that's why nobody cares anymore when he finishes 1st!

Button back at BMW sounds great. He wasn't experienced enough first time round, if they get the car right he should be fantastic.

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 05:48 AM
Button back at BMW sounds great. He wasn't experienced enough first time round, if they get the car right he should be fantastic.

It's certainly going to be interesting to see how Webber measures up against him, both are seriously smooth drivers and team principals have stated that in terms of commitment and application Webber is second only to Schu, Button on the other hand destroyed JV last season... which was no mean feat, should be fascinating to see who comes out on top!! :D

belair
Aug 6, 2004, 07:27 AM
If BMW mangages to put out a great car next year and keep up with the developement trough the season. That's the problem of all those teams compared to Ferrari. They all bring out good cars at the beginning of the season and then Ferrari just keeps improving their already excellent car. It's great thet McLaren are back on track with a good car. Next year Montoya might kick some ass in this car as well.
What they should do tough should be to put a driver like Button or Webber next to Schumacher in the Ferarri and stop doing this first and second driver policy. That way we could really see what those drivers can do on a racetrack.

Sabbath
Aug 6, 2004, 07:31 AM
It sure was a surprise, I was on the phone and had the TV on mute then they had Sir Frank talking while pictures of Jenson were running leaving me in an is he isn't he position until I could check it out on the net.

BAR seem to have come out today to say that they still think they have him under contract but I can't believe Williams would offer a contract and announce it without checking out all the legal details. Dave Richards is sure going to pissed about this, I would have preferred Button to stay at BAR if they were going to be at least as good as Williams but obviously thatís unlikely. I just like the feel of BAR at the moment, Williams are starting to remind me of the arrogance of Ron Dennis who make me really hate McLaren. Completely irrational I know! :rolleyes:

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 07:49 AM
BAR seem to have come out today to say that they still think they have him under contract but I can't believe Williams would offer a contract and announce it without checking out all the legal details.

Williams have a 5 year option on Button, which preceeds the BAR contract... Sir Frank has certainly come out fighting as well!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3541856.stm

I've been reading on some of the other F1 forums, and Button is getting a right royal pasting!! :eek: :p

Sabbath
Aug 6, 2004, 09:26 AM
Williams have a 5 year option on Button, which preceeds the BAR contract... Sir Frank has certainly come out fighting as well!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3541856.stm

I've been reading on some of the other F1 forums, and Button is getting a right royal pasting!! :eek: :p

From what I had heard I thought the problem was BAR failing to take up their contract option properly, rather than Williams holding an overriding option on his services. Although it seems this was on some small technicality so it is a bit sneaky of Button. I hope he doesn't become an unpopular driver over this.

iGav
Aug 10, 2004, 06:29 AM
Well it looks like Button isn't off to BMW Williams next season after all... the FIA have spoken... :eek: :rolleyes: :p

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30851

Personally I think Button should stick it out at BAR, Dave Richards has molded the team around him (much like the way Ferrari is molded around Schu) have a long term Honda engine deal are very competitive this season and will likely only get better next season as they gain more experience.

The only problem is, is that Button has tarnished his relationship with the team and has clearly stated that his intention is to drive for BMW Williams next season... who wants a driver in the team who isn't committed to that team??

If I were Richards, I'd kick his arse into 'Gardening Leave' for the remainder of the season...

iGav
Aug 10, 2004, 10:37 AM
BMW Williams have come out fighting now... :p this is going to get really messy!! :eek: :p

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30856