PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5(iSight) Screen Issues, Not Working

G5Unit
Dec 6, 2009, 01:49 PM
My mother's iMac G5 began this just two days ago. It turns on fine, but once is reaches the apple logo with the spinning wheel, the screen begins to exhibit what is shown in the pictures below.

It first started when I opened an .AVI I received in an email from my uncle. When the file opened, the whole screen(within about 2 seconds) had discoloration and macro blocking spread from the center of the screen outward. After this I rebooted, tried again, and when I opened the file, it did the same thing.

Now I can not even reach the log in screen. And after the screen has been in this state for a while, it may go blank and the fans run at full blast.

I've opened the same file on a PowerMac G5 and a MacBook Pro with no problems.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong? :(

ouimetnick
Dec 6, 2009, 01:53 PM
Must have a bad graphics card. Thats all I can think of.

G5Unit
Dec 6, 2009, 01:59 PM
Must have a bad graphics card. Thats all I can think of.

That's what I was thinking, because I don't think it's the screen hardware that's failing. Is it the drivers or the actual graphics card?

ouimetnick
Dec 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
That's what I was thinking, because I don't think it's the screen hardware that's failing. Is it the drivers or the actual graphics card?

I'm goona say the graphics card. It really is a pain, as I think you will need a new computer.:o

G5Unit
Dec 6, 2009, 03:01 PM
Should I try and hook up an external monitor and see if it's just the screen?

ouimetnick
Dec 6, 2009, 03:46 PM
You could try, It might be a lose cable inside, but i doubt it. If an external monitor returns the same results, the graphics card is most likely dyeing.

Gepper
Dec 7, 2009, 05:21 AM
If the graphic card in the machine shares memory with the system, then it could be a RAM module that is bad. Try changing or if you have two or more modules in - swapping them.

jakey babs
Dec 7, 2009, 10:11 PM
when my xbox started dying it did things like that and sadly there is no quick fix the card has to b fixed by professionals or replaced also i would def try usind another moniter because all of the other hardware is prob fine just the graphics card so test that out...srry abot this and best of luck