Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
My mother's iMac G5 began this just two days ago. It turns on fine, but once is reaches the apple logo with the spinning wheel, the screen begins to exhibit what is shown in the pictures below.

It first started when I opened an .AVI I received in an email from my uncle. When the file opened, the whole screen(within about 2 seconds) had discoloration and macro blocking spread from the center of the screen outward. After this I rebooted, tried again, and when I opened the file, it did the same thing.

Now I can not even reach the log in screen. And after the screen has been in this state for a while, it may go blank and the fans run at full blast.

I've opened the same file on a PowerMac G5 and a MacBook Pro with no problems.

Can anyone tell me what may be wrong? :(

Attachments

• IMG00041.jpg
    IMG00041.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG00043.jpg
    IMG00043.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG00044.jpg
    IMG00044.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG00047.jpg
    IMG00047.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG00046.jpg
    IMG00046.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 70

Gepper

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
If the graphic card in the machine shares memory with the system, then it could be a RAM module that is bad. Try changing or if you have two or more modules in - swapping them.

jakey babs

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
when my xbox started dying it did things like that and sadly there is no quick fix the card has to b fixed by professionals or replaced also i would def try usind another moniter because all of the other hardware is prob fine just the graphics card so test that out...srry abot this and best of luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.