PDA

View Full Version : Enabling Wifi on iMac?

stockcerts
Dec 6, 2009, 03:59 PM
Does anyone have a link for the directions to enable wifi from an iMac? I have a roommate that would like to connect and I'm not sure how to enable it. Thanks!

maflynn
Dec 6, 2009, 04:14 PM
From the menu bar, select the empty triangle and select turn on airport
From the system preferences, click on the network preferences, click on airport and then press the turn on airport button.

iLog.Genius
Dec 6, 2009, 04:17 PM
I'm assuming you want to share an internet connection from your iMac through your iMac's AirPort?

To do so, go into System Preferences:

- Sharing
- Internet Sharing
- Share your connection from: Ethernet
- To computers using AirPort

If you're using AirPort to connect to your network, it won't be possible to share through AirPort and your friend or whoever would need to connect to your iMac through the Ethernet port to gain internet access.

stockcerts
Dec 6, 2009, 04:44 PM
I'm assuming you want to share an internet connection from your iMac through your iMac's AirPort?

- Sharing
- Internet Sharing

If you're using AirPort to connect to your network, it won't be possible to share through AirPort and your friend or whoever would need to connect to your iMac through the Ethernet port to gain internet access.

I'll try this. My hope is that my roommate will be able to see my network and connect with her PC.

lith-ium
Dec 7, 2009, 06:44 AM

- Sharing
- Internet Sharing

however, note that this only works for apple products (imac, macbooks, iphones, ipods). as far as i know (and from personal experience), other devices wont find the wifi you are sharing through apple's airport. :(

pcs are junk
Dec 7, 2009, 01:13 PM
no anything that uses wifi can detect them, ive done it with my pcs before.