PDA

View Full Version : New Land Rover Discovery

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 07:04 AM
Now I'm not usually a fan of the SUV 4x4, indeed preferring estate car based 4x4's such as the Audi Allroad and Volvo XC70.

But yesterday I saw a new model Landie Disco in the car park of The Saxon Mill in Warwickshire (not at all far from the Landie factory), and I have to say, in the flesh this vehicle looks the whizz biz! with some serious design detailing.

http://www.landrover.co.uk

I'd still take an Audi Allroad (or even the forthcoming Volvo XC50) over the Landie, but I just really loved the way this vehicle was designed.

Thoughts??

wordmunger
Aug 6, 2004, 07:31 AM
Looks pretty much like a Honda Element without the gas mileage. Sorry. SUVs just aren't my thing. Big, ugly, gashogs.

stevehaslip
Aug 6, 2004, 08:37 AM
the new disco is a major improvement over the old one and the range rover if you ask me. they jus released pics of a new speedy range rover and new 2006 freelander. the freelander looks similar but with an all new body. its actualy quite good, they all love miles better than they used to!

gwuMACaddict
Aug 6, 2004, 09:41 AM
not bad looking, the defender is still my favorite model though...

and yes, i loooooove the volvo SUV, excited for the new one.

Blackstealth
Aug 6, 2004, 11:23 AM
Downright ugly is the best way I can describe the new Disco. It looks like a cheap Range Rover wannabe, and where's the spare wheel gone? IMHO the only desirable models left in the Land Rover range are the Defender 90 and 130 - and only because they stay true to the original principles; designed to get any job done anywhere. I don't much care for these 'lifestyle' off-roaders one bit.

strider42
Aug 6, 2004, 11:30 AM
Now I'm not usually a fan of the SUV 4x4, indeed preferring estate car based 4x4's such as the Audi Allroad and Volvo XC70.

But yesterday I saw a new model Landie Disco in the car park of The Saxon Mill in Warwickshire (not at all far from the Landie factory), and I have to say, in the flesh this vehicle looks the whizz biz! with some serious design detailing.

http://www.landrover.co.uk

I'd still take an Audi Allroad (or even the forthcoming Volvo XC50) over the Landie, but I just really loved the way this vehicle was designed.

Thoughts??

Just FYI, in the US, they killed the Discovery name. Its known as the LR3 here. I was at the media unvieling at the NY autoshow and it looked like a pretty decent SUV for what it is. I'm not an SUV person myself, but it looked pretty good and looked pretty functional. Have to wait to read some reviews though. The press kit looks nice.

EJBasile
Aug 6, 2004, 12:26 PM
Yes FINALLY- Another Land Rover Fan.

I like the new Discovery/LR3. I think its awesome looking. Don't listen to the environmentalists posting here, 1 more SUV won't hurt the environment. I disagree that it looks like a honda element to who ever said that.

I have a 2004 Range Rover and i LOVE it.

EJB

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 12:33 PM
Just FYI, in the US, they killed the Discovery name. Its known as the LR3 here.

I didn't know that... thanks for the heads up! :)

jywv8
Aug 6, 2004, 02:23 PM
I like the new Discovery/LR3. I think its awesome looking. Don't listen to the environmentalists posting here, 1 more SUV won't hurt the environment.

Ok, my dad owned a Land Rover. He's been driving SUV's for about 20 years now. I am not inherently anti-SUV. But "1 more SUV won't hurt the environment"? True. But what if 10 million people each said that to themselves?

Having said that, this looks way better than the old Discovery, which always looked really funny and top-heavy to me.

EJBasile
Aug 6, 2004, 08:13 PM
TONS OF PEOPLE DRIVE SUVs you cannot single them out!

jywv8
Aug 6, 2004, 08:30 PM

That's my point. It's "TONS" of SUV's. It's not just one.

Besides, I'm not singling anyone one. I know plenty of people who don't care about the environment, and that is their right. Like I said, I'm not anti-SUV. Just don't act like driving an SUV has no impact on the environment at all.

Abstract
Aug 7, 2004, 03:18 AM
Don't listen to the environmentalists posting here, 1 more SUV won't hurt the environment.

Oh man, and now you know why people think so Americans are selfish, self-centred, and greedy. It doesn't speak for most American people, but for America as a whole, this is how people regard you. You may not care what people think of you, but that also speaks highly, doesn't it. The amount that you care about the environment is up to you, of course, but everyone should be at least a bit concerned, instead of just turning a blind eye whenever the issue arises.

Anyway, people think I'm American when they meet me, but whenever I tell them I'm Canadian, they give a surprised, "Oh!", and many will ask me what I think about the US, since I live right beside it and all. I won't tell you what I tell them, but I'm tired of getting such questions. It wouldn't even be an issue if people didn't have such an attitude.

PS: Sorry, but I just got back from a little party where I was asked this question and similar questions. It doesn't happen all the time, but its always fun when it does. :o

ABOUT THE DISCOVERY: Yes, its definitely nicer than it was before, especially the exterior. That's not such a big deal though, since it was always ugly. :p The interior is amazing, but the centre console/stereo buttons look very cluttered and unnecessary. The Range Rover is superfluous and for people with small penises.

stevehaslip
Aug 7, 2004, 07:55 AM
Oh man, and now you know why people think so Americans are selfish, self-centred, and greedy. It doesn't speak for most American people, but for America as a whole, this is how people regard you. You may not care what people think of you, but that also speaks highly, doesn't it. The amount that you care about the environment is up to you, of course, but everyone should be at least a bit concerned, instead of just turning a blind eye whenever the issue arises.

Anyway, people think I'm American when they meet me, but whenever I tell them I'm Canadian, they give a surprised, "Oh!", and many will ask me what I think about the US, since I live right beside it and all. I won't tell you what I tell them, but I'm tired of getting such questions. It wouldn't even be an issue if people didn't have such an attitude.

PS: Sorry, but I just got back from a little party where I was asked this question and similar questions. It doesn't happen all the time, but its always fun when it does. :o

ABOUT THE DISCOVERY: Yes, its definitely nicer than it was before, especially the exterior. That's not such a big deal though, since it was always ugly. :p The interior is amazing, but the centre console/stereo buttons look very cluttered and unnecessary. The Range Rover is superfluous and for people with small penises.

Americans cars are far too big and uneconomical, they do massive amounts of damage to the environment. Fuel is absurdly cheap in America but that doesn't make it alright to have large V8s in your cars. I'm not saying that other countries around the world don't need to cut their emissions and stop polluting, because we do. But America need to sign the Kyoto Agreement and cut back.

And i agree that the range rover is for people with small penises, although that could be said for any flashy car! :eek: :mad:

jane doe
Aug 7, 2004, 09:25 AM
Nice, I'm a jeep fan myself.

edesignuk
Aug 7, 2004, 02:32 PM
The new Discovery is very nice, but I like the look of the "Stormer" :D :cool:

http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/thumbs/stormer1.jpg (http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/full/stormer1.JPG)http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/thumbs/stormer2.jpg (http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/full/stormer2.JPG)http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/thumbs/stormer3.jpg (http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/full/stormer3.JPG)
http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/thumbs/stormer4.jpg (http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/full/stormer4.JPG)http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/thumbs/stormer5.jpg (http://download.yo-momma.net/cwmotorshow04/full/stormer5.JPG)

EJBasile
Aug 7, 2004, 11:09 PM
Although I am a landrover fan- i must say that that the Range Stormer looks like a messed up range rover. I strongly dislike the range stormer

EJBasile
Aug 7, 2004, 11:12 PM
Americans cars are far too big and uneconomical, they do massive amounts of damage to the environment. Fuel is absurdly cheap in America but that doesn't make it alright to have large V8s in your cars. I'm not saying that other countries around the world don't need to cut their emissions and stop polluting, because we do. But America need to sign the Kyoto Agreement and cut back.

And i agree that the range rover is for people with small penises, although that could be said for any flashy car! :eek: :mad:

I get your point but i just want to point out that not just american made cars have V8s. I get how foreign car companies make there profit by selling there large engined cars to americans but maybe they need to sign the kyoto agreement

iJon
Aug 8, 2004, 12:56 AM
looks nice, i always liked the land rovers and all their other models. i still love my jeep though.

i do remember engaging in these arguements about suv's back earlier in the year. they would get pretty heated. but i must say after been to europe i don't argure, i more agree with most people. now i will admit that i drive a suv and like, and will probably keep to drive it.

i do agree with the foreigners saying america is greedy and self centered. i do tons and tons of people driving suv's and really don't put them to use/ yes it is their freedom and i don't argue that, but sometimes i do wonder if it;s really necessary.

i don't feel so bad because myself and 3 of my friend decided to go camping this weekend in the middle of nowhere. we stocked my family suburban with all kinds of stuff, fishing poles, food, clothes and everything. we made damn good use of that suburban, and thats why it usually sits parked in my drive way until it's uses are needed.

for the people saying one more suv won't hurt is stupid. every little thing hurts even more, it's just so many other people look at it the same way we just don't care.

iJon

BrianKonarsMac
Aug 8, 2004, 02:55 AM
all i want is a jeep with a washable (plastic or rubber)/removable interior and drains in the floor. why can't i have a true off-road vehicle rather than these panzy ass "off-road" vehicles with cherry wood dashboards...man i'd hate to go over a boulder and roll in that thing.

Abstract
Aug 8, 2004, 05:58 AM
I agree.

While its not an off-road vehicle, is Honda the only one getting it right by making the Honda Element? Sure, its an ugly car, but its utilitarian, and you can mess its interior and clean it easily. All it really needs is 4WD and the proper suspension. Plus it has better functionality for the great outdoors than many of these other cars do in terms of design features and the materials used. Does it have 7 leather seats with bluetooth for mobile phones? Nope, and who cares if it does! If you want leather, buy another car.

Will Honda have to start making a cheap Element-based SUV to show all these wussy companies how sheeit gets done? You wonder why SUVs cost so much money, but c'mon. If they didn't include all these luxury features, surely they would be much much cheaper for people who actually USE these vehicles for practical purposes on a daily basis.

stevehaslip
Aug 8, 2004, 01:39 PM
I get your point but i just want to point out that not just american made cars have V8s. I get how foreign car companies make there profit by selling there large engined cars to americans but maybe they need to sign the kyoto agreement

sure, but everyone needs to sign the Kyoto agreement. ;)

homerjward
Aug 9, 2004, 12:37 AM
looks nice, bit like an old honda crv tho. my fave suv is the touraeg i must say :cool:

iGav
Aug 9, 2004, 04:42 AM
all i want is a jeep with a washable (plastic or rubber)/removable interior and drains in the floor. why can't i have a true off-road vehicle rather than these panzy ass "off-road" vehicles with cherry wood dashboards...man i'd hate to go over a boulder and roll in that thing.

You want a lo-tune V8 Landie Defender then... a PROPER old school off roader, as used by the worlds finest miltary unit, the SAS ;)

iGav
Aug 9, 2004, 04:46 AM
It looks like a cheap Range Rover wannabe,

In the flesh it looks like it's made out of granite.. :eek: ;)

It's certainly more purposeful than the Range Rover and less footballers wife :eek: :p :p