PDA

View Full Version : White Macbook support 32 bit or 64 bit?

andygabriel
Dec 7, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hi all,

i have a 2008 white macbook 4,1- 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HD.
I'd like to know if it supports 64 bit. I want to upgrade to Snow leopard but i'm not sure if it would benefit my laptop. Would Snow leopard make it faster?

And is snow leopard stable now? I read when it first came out that a lot of people were having issues.

I use my mac for basic things like mail, ical, iLife suite, Web browsing, Itunes(a lot). So will i notice a difference if i upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Looking forward to hear from y'all!

Peace.

ziggyonice
Dec 7, 2009, 01:16 AM
Yes, your Mac is 64-bit capable. Only the first generation MacBooks/Pros were 32-bit. So you're all good.

And Snow Leopard works great. All operating systems have their kinks at first but I've been using SL since day one without problems, so I think anyone else with issues probably has them solved by now.

And yes, you'll definitely notice a difference in speed once it's installed. iLife apps aren't 64-bit yet though (probably after iLife '10 comes out). So I'd say go for it. It's only $29, after all.

spinnerlys
Dec 7, 2009, 01:16 AM
All Core 2 Duo Macs are 64-bit capable.

You will notice a slight speed increase with that kind of stuff you're doing.

MathijsDelva
Dec 7, 2009, 02:55 AM
I have a question too. Am i automatically working on 64 bit if i use SL? Or should i do something special?

spinnerlys
Dec 7, 2009, 03:26 AM
I have a question too. Am i automatically working on 64 bit if i use SL? Or should i do something special?

The applications have to be in 64 bit to take advantage of the 64 bitness.

Also Snow Leopard boots with th 32-bit kernel by default, which does not prevent any 64 bit software from running properly.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/28/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_to_the_kernel.html

Skippy440
Dec 7, 2009, 09:22 AM
Sorry to ask a question within someone else's post, but what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? What would the advantages be with 64 bits as opposed to just 32 bits? Is it just the speed of the app's that affected? :confused:

Skippy440
Dec 7, 2009, 12:09 PM
Sorry to ask a question within someone else's post, but what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit? What would the advantages be with 64 bits as opposed to just 32 bits? Is it just the speed of the app's that affected? :confused:

Found an awesome thread in the Mac software section explaining it. Excellent article.:D :apple:

Thanks.