PDA

View Full Version : PB Battery

kevinuaa
Aug 6, 2004, 09:57 AM
Well, I bought a 12" PB two weeks ago, and i love it. this is my fourth Apple. (IIc->PM6100/60->PB5300c->PB867Mhz.)

I've read a little on the apple website about proper battery maintenance, but i'm wondering if there's more i can do. Yes, I've already calibrated the battery by charging it, then completely draining it.

Should I leave it plugged in, or will this negatively affect the battery? Or should only plug it in when it needs to be charged, and then unplug it until it dies?

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!

Finiksa
Aug 6, 2004, 10:15 AM
Just keep power flowing through the battery and you'll get a good life out of it. By that I mean run it off of battery power occasionally, once every week or so, you don't need to run it completely flat either. Other than that you can keep it plugged in.

Also don't get the battery extremely hot, it'll kill it.

titaniumducky
Aug 6, 2004, 10:30 AM
Well, I bought a 12" PB two weeks ago, and i love it. this is my fourth Apple. (IIc->PM6100/60->PB5300c->PB867Mhz.)

I've read a little on the apple website about proper battery maintenance, but i'm wondering if there's more i can do. Yes, I've already calibrated the battery by charging it, then completely draining it.

Should I leave it plugged in, or will this negatively affect the battery? Or should only plug it in when it needs to be charged, and then unplug it until it dies?

Thanks for the input.

Cheers!

If you read the site, you saw he explanation on charge cycles. This part is very important. Every time you use the battery, it counts towards a fraction of a charge cycle; batteries have a limited number of charge cycles before they start to lose capacity. Therefore, you don't want your computer to always use its battery.

At the same time, there's a section detailing info about how the electrons need to be regularly stimulated. If you leave your computer plugged in all the time, the battery will also lose capacity.

The solution? Try to find a balance. Leave it plugged in whenever you want. Just make sure you're taking it with you once in a while. If you work from one place most of the time, simulate mobile use by unplugging it some of the time. Your battery can do a good number of cycles (300-400) before it hits about 80% original capacity. On the whole, don't worry about it too much.

kevinuaa
Aug 6, 2004, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the tips!

mattroberts
Aug 6, 2004, 06:24 PM
On a similar topic My battery is giving me a false amount of time left. For example It will say the battery has 1 min left and then the thing runs for another 40 minutes or so. I remember a fix being mentioned several months ago but a quick search for it in the forums hasn't turned it up. Anyone remember it?

cheers
m