PDA

View Full Version : English Premier League starts Aug. 14

TheFoamRoses
Aug 6, 2004, 10:08 AM
Hello all,

Is anyone else as excited as me for the start of the EPL season? After seeing those Champions World Series games in Philadlephia this summer I couldn't be more excited for the season to start. As a developing avid Arsenal fan, I couldn't be more fearful of the Vieira situation and how it will affect the club, but, lets be honest, Arsenal are most likely going to repeat this season.

So who will you be cheering for? What are you looking forward to most this season? How long will it take for ManU to be out of the race again? Lets get this thread going for the entire campaign.

stevehaslip
Aug 6, 2004, 10:59 AM
the papers say that freddie ljungberg will be on his way out if viera leaves, which i think is a definate. They also say that if viera leaves then henry and pires are at risk. I don't think its a cert that they will go undefeated next season let alone win. Its no sure thing and chelsea will be up there this season with jose at the helm. I wouldn't be suprised if by next season arsenal are half the squad they are now. Will arsene venger leave to take the Germany job next season, he has said that its one of the only jobs that he would leave arsenal for. its not looking so good right now. and i quite like arsenal!

kerb
Aug 6, 2004, 11:04 AM
I'm looking forward to mediocre and disappointing football from Burnley in Division 1 this season.

iGav
Aug 6, 2004, 12:27 PM
I'd be most surprised if Chelsea don't win it this year, they've assembled a fearsome squad, and have the reserves to buy anyone else they might fancy! It'll be a close fight with Arsenal though, Man U will be quite a way a drift, with Liverpool even further back in 4th.

So a quick prediction for final positions come May '05...

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man Utd
4. Liverpool

Well the season starts for my team tomorrow, we've got Sunderland at home and we'll win 2-1 ;) in the rather comically titled 'Coca-Cola Football League Championship' :rolleyes:

The FA really should have kept Div 1, Div 2 etc etc, rather than waste time with this Premiership and Coca-Cola Football League Championship nonsense... :eek: :rolleyes:

kerb
Aug 6, 2004, 12:31 PM
ah yeah

forgot that

my grandad still calls the premiership the first division and he calls the charts, "the hit parade"

stevehaslip
Aug 6, 2004, 01:58 PM
I'd be most surprised if Chelsea don't win it this year, they've assembled a fearsome squad, and have the reserves to buy anyone else they might fancy! It'll be a close fight with Arsenal though, Man U will be quite a way a drift, with Liverpool even further back in 4th.

So a quick prediction for final positions come May '05...

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man Utd
4. Liverpool

Well the season starts for my team tomorrow, we've got Sunderland at home and we'll win 2-1 ;) in the rather comically titled 'Coca-Cola Football League Championship' :rolleyes:

The FA really should have kept Div 1, Div 2 etc etc, rather than waste time with this Premiership and Coca-Cola Football League Championship nonsense... :eek: :rolleyes:

I think you're right with that prediction, if someone at chelsea gets injured and is crucial to their plan then they'll just buy another player.

BakedBeans
Aug 6, 2004, 03:02 PM
chelsea suck....over rated players that are worth half what they paid for them...

come on you liverpool

Sabbath
Aug 6, 2004, 04:48 PM
chelsea suck....over rated players that are worth half what they paid for them...

come on you liverpool

Come on the 'pool!

I pretty much agree with iGav but Liverpool will be closer points wise this year. I can't wait for the season to start I just wish I had sky.

Abstract
Aug 6, 2004, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I think the Pool will be better, but they'll still be 4th. Chelski will also be better than last season, no doubt. Manchester United.....well, Liverpool and ManU will probably be battling it out for 3rd most of the season, with Man U prevailing.

iGav
Aug 7, 2004, 04:47 AM

come on you liverpool

Totally disagree, Chelsea are bang up there for depth of squad... they can afford to have injuries because they have world class players that can fill the void, that's the biggest problem Arsenal and Liverpool have.

Arsenal should be up there, but I'm guessing it all depends on what happens with Viera if he goes then the floodgates might well open.

Liverpool will be a distant 4th, (possibly 5th), they don't have the squad to challenge.

Ari_0
Aug 7, 2004, 05:07 AM
Chelsea! :D

They are goood. But there is better.

stevehaslip
Aug 7, 2004, 07:58 AM
Chelsea! :D

They are goood. But there is better.

Nobody likes them! but you have to admit that they're good and that they'll probably be even better this season.

iGav
Aug 8, 2004, 01:54 PM
Nice to see Arsenal stuff Man U 3-1 today... a great response to Fergie's (somewhat early for him) inane ramblings about the opposition being weak etc etc... I reckon the mad hatter will be 'retired' this season. :eek: ;) :p

As for my team... already top of the 'Coca-Cola Football League Championship' ;) :D Now all we need is this takeover to take place, that will make us the 3rd richest club in Britain :eek: :D

Come on you Sky Blues!!!! :D

TheFoamRoses
Aug 9, 2004, 08:47 AM
Excellent win for Arsenal in the Community Shield. Couldn't ask for more from the younger players and couldn't have expected less from United. Now on to the real start of the "Premier" season, even though the rediculously titled Coca-Cola championship started this past weekend. Any Everton fans around?

Mark James
Aug 9, 2004, 08:57 AM
Arsenal should be up there, but I'm guessing it all depends on what happens with Viera if he goes then the floodgates might well open.
The Arsenal consensus opinion is 'Patrick who?'. The boys will do just *fine* without him, believe me...

iGav
Aug 9, 2004, 09:02 AM
The Arsenal consensus opinion is 'Patrick who?'. The boys will do just *fine* without him, believe me...

they demonstrated that against Man U on Sunday didn't they... :p

***** like that happening is never good for a squad during the build up for a new campaign though... should be a good fight between them and Chelsea this season!

Mark James
Aug 9, 2004, 09:11 AM
I'm more concerned about Arsenal winning the Charimunity Shield - it normally presages a 'poor' season - than at Paddy's departure. The bloke's heart obviously isn't fully in it, and I believe the best thing for both him and Arsenal would be for him to leave. How could he remain as captain? How could he remain at all?

The curious aspect is that the transfer appears to have stalled over the salary that Real Madrid are prepared to offer. If he *really* wants to play for them, do you not think he should be prepared to earn a few bob less?

iGav
Aug 9, 2004, 09:20 AM
If he *really* wants to play for them, do you not think he should be prepared to earn a few bob less?

Exactly... it's not like the difference is going to cause him difficulty in paying his mortgage each month is it... :eek: :p

Just read on BBC News, that Lee Huges has gotten 6 years for causing death by dangerous driving... not exactly a 'sentence' for what he did really is it. :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/coventry_warwickshire/3548840.stm

TheFoamRoses
Aug 9, 2004, 09:56 AM
Well it just seems to me that an Arsenal without PV will not be the horror that much of the press believes. They will survive with or without him. His lack of devotion means that either way he should no longer be captain. If he goes thats more cash to burn on younger, emerging talent. No problems here on the Vieira issue, just want a decision soon.

Mark James
Aug 9, 2004, 12:04 PM
Well it just seems to me that an Arsenal without PV will not be the horror that much of the press believes. They will survive with or without him.
Agreed. Reyes looks as though he's a ready-made replacement for God 10; in the midfield one or more of Van Persie, Flamini, Cesc - did you *see* Cesc?! - and your very own Frankie Simek will come good. Then there are the established midfielders in Pires, Edu, Gilberto and Ljungberg. At the back we have Senderos to come in, which would allow Kolo to play rightback, midfield, striker, wherever he bleedin' wants, basically.

His lack of devotion means that either way he should no longer be captain. If he goes thats more cash to burn on younger, emerging talent.
Agreed again. Had he publicly denied the whole story then he could have seen how it panned out, and either left (boo, hiss) or stayed (glorious captain) without any of us being the wiser. As it is, most Arsenal supporters I know now think it would be better for the team if he left. I can envisage the crowd being on his back if he stays and has a couple of poor games, which is extremely sad after eight years of incredible service to the club. However, I also suspect that the Arsenal propaganda machine is actually trying to force him to draw the same conclusion, and to jump ship regardless of the salary cut.

No problems here on the Vieira issue, just want a decision soon.
Bugger me but it's been dull, hasn't it? It was interesting for a week, but it must be pushing six weeks by now...

*yawn*