Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In case you missed it, Apple acquired a streaming music service called Lala Media late last week. The acquisition has generated the obvious speculation about what Apple might do with a streaming music service. Apple's official response was, of course, unrevealing:
"Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not comment on our purpose or plan."
While a New York Times article suggested it was primarily a talent acquisition with Apple's interest lying with the engineers, a Reuters source over the weekend suggests Apple is indeed looking towards adding streaming to iTunes:
"Apple recognizes that the model is going to evolve into a streaming one and this could probably propel iTunes to the next level," said the person.
The source also stated that Apple was looking into new ways to expand iTunes beyond being a download service for songs.

Article Link: Source Speaks to Apple's Motivation Behind Lala Acquisition

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-A821/1.0 SHP/VPP/R5 NetFront/3.4 SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.0 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Bring on streaming itunes to my iphone...

Olliie

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008
They'll hopefully do a rip-off of the Swedish service Spotify. The most flawless streaming service available to the iPhone and Android. Tonnes of music for only 10€ a month!

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Good. They're not resting on their laurels or risking iTunes becoming (somehow) irrelevant or left behind the curve. iTunes is almost as pervasive as the iPod itself, but they should never get too comfortable about what they've already accomplished. They should always feel their competitors breathing down their necks. Now, whether that means streaming or not is largely unimportant, as long as it continues to push forward what people can do with their devices. Personally, streaming sounds a little bit boringly predictable; I'm ready for a new paradigm to shake things up.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
That's weird, I figured they bought it to stop LaLa from releasing their iPhone app which would be much more competitive to iTunes than, say... Pandora, even Rhapsody as there is a useful free component to LaLa that is better than either aforementioned.

But hey, maybe something more interesting will happen.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
I'm more interested in streaming video than audio. (although both are likely to happen)

Downloading massive video files for you to store/backup is not something the average person wants to do. They also want their entire library of content on their iPhone/iPod Touch. The only way this is possible is to stream the content. Not only that, but you don't have to worry about encoding for multiple devices and wasting even more space with 2 or more copies of the same movie.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
iTunes 2011? If they're getting the deal done now, it'll take a while presumably? I'd imagine they'd be working on shifting to 64 bit iTunes first.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
Streaming is only useful if you have an internet connection, and the majority of places still dont have public wlan access.

Now I would get excited about this if apple was rolling out world wide wlan ;) In the mean time I will restrict streaming to FM Broadcasters.

lethalOne

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto ON
Yet another item that's not available in Canada...

None of lala, pandora and spotify are available to me...

I hope Apple can bring streaming to me soon.

In the meantime, I'll use Simplify to let me listen to my own music via streaming.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
That's weird, I figured they bought it to stop LaLa from releasing their iPhone app which would be much more competitive to iTunes than, say... Pandora, even Rhapsody as there is a useful free component to LaLa that is better than either aforementioned.

But hey, maybe something more interesting will happen.

Highly unlikely as this would be extremely anti-competitive and would not bode well for Apple.

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
Funny that the list of failed business models is littered with music streaming companies. No, I don't think Apple will be doing streaming in any way we can imagine.

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
If only my Ipod Touch got semi-decent battery life using wifi at all times. Unfortunately pandora etc kill my battery life to a point that is just not sustainable. Give me 12 hours using wifi and i'd be happy

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Whatever, so long as it doesn't turn into the ONLY model. I absolutely hate streaming.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Streaming generally is choppy and sucks. To make streaming prime-time there needs to be permission to cache considerably more time than is currently allowed on most systems.

Rocketman
I disagree. I stream Netflix and Amazon VOD daily and find the experience far better than downloading via iTunes.

PS: Not looking to turn this into a "1080p is the only HD worth watching" war. 720p streaming is what I'm talking about …and the amount of cache you need for that is MUCH less than 1080p content.

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I'm more interested in streaming video than audio. (although both are likely to happen)

Downloading massive video files for you to store/backup is not something the average person wants to do. They also want their entire library of content on their iPhone/iPod Touch. The only way this is possible is to stream the content. Not only that, but you don't have to worry about encoding for multiple devices and wasting even more space with 2 or more copies of the same movie.

Actually, you can write apps to stream video, now. As of a few months ago, you could not (legally) write apps to stream audio,

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
This might be a little "out there", but ....

What about the idea of XM/Sirius partnering up with one of these streaming technologies?

Seems to me, they could get a nice boost to their business if they started offering the ability for customers to upload their own personal collections to servers which would then allow them to listen to that collection, streaming via satellite, down to their unique serialized satellite radio?

"To listen to your personal collection, tune to station XX!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.