PDA

View Full Version : when should I unplug my powerbook ?

itamar
Aug 6, 2004, 12:10 PM
I've just recieved my new powerbook, everything is great but I don't realy have much experience with laptops, and it doesn't say anything about that in the manual, so I was wandering if anyone can help me understand this -
should I unplug it from the electrical outlet when it's green or/and while it's asleep or/and when i'm not using it?
or maybe it doesn't matter and should be plugged all the time??
thanks

musicpyrite
Aug 6, 2004, 12:28 PM
Keep it plugged in all the time.

The less the PowerBook has to use the battery, the longer the life of the battery.

And the PowerBook runs off AC when plugged in, so its not draining the battery. (although the battery will charge if needed)

edit: Hmmm, I guess I stand corrected. That explains why I don't own a laptop ;)

denm316
Aug 6, 2004, 12:28 PM
When you first get it, give it an initial charge to fully charge it(when it turns green), then unplug and begin using it, use it till it runs completely out to where it turns itself off, then completely charge it.

What this does is calibrate your battery, Apple recommends doing this every few months. After you perform the calibration you can use it as you wish. However I dont recommend having it plugged in all the time.

noel4r
Aug 6, 2004, 12:33 PM
You should run it on battery until it goes in battery reserve mode at least once a month. It keeps the electrons moving. I got this from Apple's website.

itamar
Aug 6, 2004, 12:54 PM
so if I understand you correctly -
keep it plugged all the time, even if the battery is full and it's asleep.
thanks.

nina
Aug 6, 2004, 01:11 PM
Hey, there!

Read this page, direct from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

They DO NOT recommend leaving the Powerbook plugged in all the time. I worried about battery usage for a bit when I first got my new PowerBook, but after reading this page, I don't worry at all.

Take the 'book out with you, use it, and charge it when you get home. You don't have to worry about doing a full discharge every month if you use the battery regularly - the monthly discharge is recommended only if you don't constantly "keep the electrons moving" in the battery.

itamar
Aug 6, 2004, 01:27 PM
thanks for the link
I think I'll keep it plugged in during the day and then unplug it at night while it's asleep.

wPod
Aug 6, 2004, 01:59 PM
if you are standing ankle deep in water and holding your powerbook it should not be plugged in. also do not plug your powerbook in if the outlet you are about to plug it into is partially submerged in water. do not plug your powerbook in to an outlet durring a storng electrical storm (we get those a lot in texas) unless you plug it into a surge protector. . . then you can fry the surge protector and your powerbook will remain safe. do not plug in your powerbook if you plan on being more than 10' from an outlet. . . the cord does not stretch and may be pulled out of your powerbook if you try to walk further, or the cord might bull the powerbook out of your hands resulting in a very damaged powerbook. also make sure the cord is not across an area where someone walks. .. they may trip over the cord and pull your powerbook off of the desk. do not plug your powerbook in if sparks are being emited from the power adapter. (i have actually seen that happen and apple will replace your power adapter) do not try to cram an american plug into a plug from a different country, apple makes an appropriate kit to convert to other electrical systems. those are some of the most obvious things i can think of.