PDA

View Full Version : ibook suffering KPs, Bad RAM?

Darth Maynard
Dec 7, 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi

A friend of mine has an ibook (believe it's the G4 14.1) w/ 1 GB of added ram. He had a kernal panic, and after doing some diagnostic with Tech Tool Deluxe, came back with the following error codes:

2MEM/104/4:dimm1/J7

2MEM/1/4: DIMM1/J7

Initially, I thought he had some bad RAM and suggested that he take out the 1 GB chip. I was surprised to learn that the RAM it ships with is hardwired in. So, when the machine still didn't function after removing the chip, I think he might have bad ram on board. Does sound about right?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Reflow
Dec 7, 2009, 03:58 PM
Sound like the onboard ram is shot. I've heard of people removing the ram but that's a job to do.

Darth Maynard
Dec 7, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought it might be.:( Plenty of how-to's on how to add a module online. Anybody familiar with how to do the onboard ram or is it just a lost cause?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Reflow
Dec 7, 2009, 04:13 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought it might be.:( Plenty of how-to's on how to add a module online. Anybody familiar with how to do the onboard ram or is it just a lost cause?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

From what I understand is you have to remove the motherboard. You also have to have a steady hand with a solder gun. Me personally have never tried it. I assume you can find some videos on youtube on how to do it.

Good luck