PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook 5300c -- Connecting to the Internet

IJ Reilly
Aug 6, 2004, 01:44 PM
I'm working with a friend to get an old PB 5300c on the 'net. If we can get it working, it's going to a youngster who can't afford a new computer.

So far, no luck. The 5300c lacks both a modem and an ethernet connector. We do have a PC-card modem, but no modem script to drive it (checked the manufacturer's web site). We've also tried a serial port to ethernet bridge box and plugged it into a hub. This works for printing, but doesn't seem to allow an internet connection.

This PB is loaded with OS 8.0. We'd like to upgrade it to OS 9.x, which might help, but that presents another problem: locating an SCSI CD drive and an adaptor for the small SCSI connector on the 5300.

Any and all suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

mac_gal
Aug 6, 2004, 02:37 PM
I actually just received a 5300 as well. It has an external modem (very old, probably as old as the laptop).

Unfortunately I don't know of other options for connecting it to the internet.

IJ Reilly
Aug 6, 2004, 02:53 PM
I've held onto a few ancient modems, and I'm hopeful that one of them will work. But I'm not sure if OS 8.0 is capable. It seems to me it is, but I honestly don't recall.

emw
Aug 6, 2004, 03:02 PM
Not my area of expertise here, but what about a PCMCIA Ethernet Card (http://www.welovemacs.com/nics-pcmcia.html).

There may be others, but this one is specifically Mac-compatible.

IJ Reilly
Aug 6, 2004, 03:10 PM
Good suggestion, thanks!