PDA

View Full Version : bluetooth or USB mouse

puckhead193
Aug 6, 2004, 01:55 PM
I want an external mouse for my new powerbook. I'm debating wether to get a USB or bluetooth. If I get a bluetooth which one would you recommened. What about a USB. I want a 2 button with a scroll wheel.
Thanks

lasuther
Aug 6, 2004, 02:17 PM
I want an external mouse for my new powerbook. I'm debating wether to get a USB or bluetooth. If I get a bluetooth which one would you recommened. What about a USB. I want a 2 button with a scroll wheel.
Thanks

Logitech bluetooth mouse, no question (if you're right handed). It matches the PowerBook color, battery life lasts a very long time, and it has enough buttons to use expose with it. My best friend uses it with his 17" PowerBook, and it made me very upset I didn't get bluetooth with my iBook. I can't imagine using a wired mouse with a laptop.

The next computer I get will have bluetooth just so I can use a bluetooth mouse.

lasuther

puckhead193
Aug 6, 2004, 02:31 PM
which model was it?

hacurio1
Aug 6, 2004, 02:55 PM
Surely MX900

G4Grover
Aug 6, 2004, 03:51 PM
I have an Apple BT mouse for my PB and I hate the fact that it doesn't discover it very quickly (or at all sometimes) when I come back to my desk.

More times that not, I have to go to the BT menu and discover new device all over again.

My BT keyboard works much better in this area...

denm316
Aug 13, 2004, 06:50 AM
I have been debating as you on what BT mouse to get for my powerbook, I want 2 buttons and a scroll wheel as well. However the apple BT mouse is the only one which has an off switch over the laser. For me the mouse would be in my back alot being bumped around and stuff, therefore if I bought one without an off switch it would more then likely stay on from getting bumped around all day. I will more then likely pick up the apple one, one of these days.

And for all the people who say just put a piece of black electric tape over the laser when its not in use, that is ridiculous and looks stupid as hell, especially when pulling it out with a nice new PowerBook.

fred_garvin
Aug 13, 2004, 01:09 PM
A simple cord doesn't bother me. I'd prefer to not drain the laptop battery faster, or worry about my mouse running out of power.

The Logitech MX510 is nice. Higher res optical tracking, plenty of buttons, small, $50.

iBert
Aug 13, 2004, 01:45 PM
you don't really need a bluetooth mouse to go wireless. I have a logitech mouse that is RF. Pretty cool. Unless you want to use bluetooth for something else go for it. But if you are considering a bluetooth mouse because it's wireless, I'll say your going about it wrong. Check must mouse that are wireless sometimes even if they are in the PC section of the store on the box you'll see they support Mac also. Mostly check logitech, they are the only company (or most of their mouses) support both PC and Mac. This is what I have (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=3,CONTENTID=7109)

Aaon
Aug 13, 2004, 02:19 PM
I asked this on another thread, but perhaps this one is more appripriate. This may be a silly question, but can you use a wireless mouse on an airplane? I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

Aaron

friarbayliff
Aug 13, 2004, 02:28 PM
I think you can use one. Heck, I've used wireless devices like that. As a matter of fact, I was playing Starcraft via wireless adHoc on a recent flight. As long as it's not during landing/takeoff, they don't seem to care/notice two-way communications devices.

Joeytpg
Aug 13, 2004, 03:07 PM
A simple cord doesn't bother me. I'd prefer to not drain the laptop battery faster, or worry about my mouse running out of power.

The Logitech MX510 is nice. Higher res optical tracking, plenty of buttons, small, $50.

same here.......i don't find any prob. in using a wired mouse........i too have the logitech mx510 it's a great mouse!..i wanted the MX500 (because it matches my powerbook, but the ran out at the store, so....the 510 was it....but it's a beutiful mouse!.....i love it! :D

heaven
Aug 13, 2004, 06:28 PM
I have the Logitech BT MX900, works perfect with my powerbook.. With the additional buttons set to exposť its a dream! :rolleyes:

puckhead193
Aug 13, 2004, 10:57 PM
same here.......i don't find any prob. in using a wired mouse........i too have the logitech mx510 it's a great mouse!..i wanted the MX500 (because it matches my powerbook, but the ran out at the store, so....the 510 was it....but it's a beutiful mouse!.....i love it! :D

I ened up getting the 510, its cheeper then the mx900 gotta save up for "food" money at college so the extra 50 bucks will come in handy. I got it in blue, what about you? So far the mouse is great, its so smooth and the cord doesn't bother me at all.

quackattack
Aug 14, 2004, 12:32 AM
take advantage of the bluetooth in your PB. i have the mx900 and love not having the extra wires to tangle up. I just wish logitech would release a driver for it.....

quackattack
Aug 14, 2004, 12:35 AM
I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

I'm fairly sure bluetooth qualifies. I've never been bothered by an attendant because I don't use the mouse on planes, not enough room on that little tray.... But it most definately sends out a signal. Better keep it packed up.

stubeeef
Aug 14, 2004, 01:16 AM
I'm using a plain ole apple bt mouse with 12" pb with zero problems, in my 2nd month. granted it's not a multibutton bute, but has been rock solid.

12'pb 1.33ghz 768ram

Whigga Spitta
Aug 14, 2004, 08:16 AM
I find it suprising that G4Grover mentioned the Apple BT mouse isn't discovered quickly. I have the MX900 (which isn't even technically supported) but I have had zero problems with it being discovered via the built in Bluetooth.

lucarelli
Aug 14, 2004, 09:21 AM
Just purchased the Radtech BT 500 bluetooth mouse. 3 buttons, compact size and works amazing. Also receive editor's choice from Mac Addict. :)

Bonnie
Aug 16, 2004, 03:34 PM
I'm with lucarelli. I can't believe nobody mentioned the Radtech BT 500. That mouse is great and has gotten glowing reviews across the board. It is SO small too which is great for portability.

The small size, bluetooth, two buttons and scroll wheel give it pretty much all the desired features in a mouse for a laptop.

You can see it at www.radtech.us.

FelixDerKater
Aug 16, 2004, 05:00 PM
It would be nice if that Radtech mouse were not so stinking ugly.

OldManJimbo
Aug 16, 2004, 06:34 PM
I asked this on another thread, but perhaps this one is more appripriate. This may be a silly question, but can you use a wireless mouse on an airplane? I know that no devices that transmit or recieve signals are to be used, and I would think that Bluetooth qualifies. Has anyone considered this, or had any flight attendants comment on their wireless mouse?

Aaron

The airlines (and I suspect the FAA) requires anyone using a laptop with wireless capabilities to disable the wireless. They never specifically mention Bluetooth, but I always turn it off, as well.

OldManJimbo
Aug 16, 2004, 06:36 PM
I use a Bluetooth 2-button, scroll-wheel mouse from Rad-Tech. It's the BT-500. The little thing is TINY and the scroll wheel is expose compitible. Very cool. Battery lasts about a week with heavy use. Turns itself off when idle AND their customer service is awesome. www.radtech.com

OldManJimbo
Aug 16, 2004, 06:39 PM

Oh man - I think the little BT-500 is cute. Far from ugly. I think you can actually have a choice of colors now, as well.

Natalia81
Aug 16, 2004, 06:49 PM
I read somewhere ( I think it was Mac world magazine) that Bluetooth can interfere with your WiFi connection. Has anyone experienced this?

Bonnie
Aug 17, 2004, 12:47 AM

The BT-500 does look a bit ugly in white, but the other colors are great. I've seen it in person in dark blue and it was hot.

Jo-Kun
Aug 17, 2004, 02:49 AM
I have the MS BT mouse... its slow... I need speed & precision when working in Photoshop... I don't want to program the buttons for expose... I want to be able to do as with my USB logitech: program the buttons for double click and other...

so now I do use my 4y old USB Logitech Wheel Mouse Optical... the MS mouse is sitting on a shelf...

J

AmigoMac
Aug 17, 2004, 03:13 AM
I read somewhere ( I think it was Mac world magazine) that Bluetooth can interfere with your WiFi connection. Has anyone experienced this?

Both systems work at the same frequency range (2.4 GHz) but encoding and signal sampling work in a different way for each system, maybe a very little speed reduction if you're surfing wireless and syncing your phone which is just beside the base station, all at the same time... but it's very unlikely ...

zagato27
Aug 17, 2004, 07:22 PM
I'm with lucarelli. I can't believe nobody mentioned the Radtech BT 500. That mouse is great and has gotten glowing reviews across the board. It is SO small too which is great for portability.

The small size, bluetooth, two buttons and scroll wheel give it pretty much all the desired features in a mouse for a laptop.

You can see it at www.radtech.us.

I'm interested in a bluetooth mouse and considering the M$ and the Logitech but just came upon the radtech. I like that it actually has a on/off switch and runs on AAA's. Scroll wheel too. I am currently using the Apple hockey puck, ugh, with my desktop (G5 w/ BT). I know that this mouse is touted as a laptop mouse and am a bit concerned about it's diminutive size. What say you guys/gals? Is this mouse strictly for laptops or can I use it with my G5 and not hate it because it's too small after some time. BTW, average person w/ normal size hands. Well, it would be used by my family: ages 7 to 50. Thanks and cheers ;)

gear02
Aug 19, 2004, 09:32 PM
take advantage of the bluetooth in your PB. i have the mx900 and love not having the extra wires to tangle up. I just wish logitech would release a driver for it.....

Sorry to dig up a fairly old thread, but I was looking for a BT mouse that also had more than ONE button (cough apple). I saw the MX900 but it doesn't say mac on it. I'm pretty sure BT is platform independent. However, what are you talking about when you say drivers? Does it work on a mac? What doesn't work? Do you need to use the cradle? I figure the cradle is dumb, especially if you take your computer around.

yippy
Aug 19, 2004, 10:03 PM
It works, you just can't program the buttons like you can on PC because there is no mac software for it.

gear02
Aug 19, 2004, 10:09 PM
It works, you just can't program the buttons like you can on PC because there is no mac software for it.

so how did the guy use expose with the buttons?

Bobcat37
Sep 2, 2004, 08:31 AM
*bump*

Yes... how did you program it for expose without drivers?

Also, what about the Kensington Bluetooth Pilot Mouse. I also want a BT mouse for my PB and thought that one looked interesting. Has anyone tried it?

gear02
Sep 2, 2004, 08:34 AM
*bump*

Yes... how did you program it for expose without drivers?

Also, what about the Kensington Bluetooth Pilot Mouse. I also want a BT mouse for my PB and thought that one looked interesting. Has anyone tried it?

I got my mouse and I got it to work with expose. If you go into your system preferences and go to expose you can set it to use mouse buttons. No logitech software needed.

kilpajr
Sep 4, 2004, 03:30 PM
I am looking at The Mouse BT from www.macmice.com. Unfortunately, it is a little more expensive ($70) and doesn't ship until October 5. But, it is definitely the most stylish BT mouse I have seen and it has that apple look.

mattv123
Sep 4, 2004, 03:38 PM
I skimmed through the thread and I don't know if it was mentioned yet or not: but I have a Kensigton Wireless Studio Mouse. It has a touch sensor scroll wheel (which works great) and two buttons, even a recharging cradle. It is very sleek and performs very well. It is RF, not BT, but i have never had a problem with it.....

... until today. Now it just doesn't work :/. I am thinking the batteries are maybe shot (had it for about a year now), but not sure. Besides this little problem, it works very well and I highly recommend it.

zagato27
Sep 5, 2004, 07:54 AM
I am looking at The Mouse BT from www.macmice.com. Unfortunately, it is a little more expensive ($70) and doesn't ship until October 5. But, it is definitely the most stylish BT mouse I have seen and it has that apple look.

Apple look, yes. Stylish, don't think so. U G L Y. Looks just like the Apple "hockey puck" to me. Wish that the RadTech BT "mini" mouse was super-sized into a full size mouse. Cheers

thrillz3
Sep 5, 2004, 11:59 AM
Glad I'm not the only one waiting for The Mouse BT. It is more expensive, but it has the on/off switch, etc. How much does the BT eat up the battery of the PB's?

12" 1.33Ghz 768MB 80GB PB