PDA

View Full Version : To copy a DVD

ThatGirl
Aug 6, 2004, 03:48 PM
I would like to make a copy of a DVD movie, for my own use, not to sell. I bought the original movie myself, legally, retail.

I have an older iMac Ruby, with a DVD player/CD burner drive, on Jaguar, and I have an iMac G4, also on Jaguar. They are networked via the broadband internet cable and a Linksys router.

Would it work to put the original movie in the drive in the Ruby iMac, put a blank DVD in my iMac G4, turn on file sharing, and copy it that way. I've done that to backup folders, etc, but never to try this.

Would it work? Do I need a special program to make it work?

krimson
Aug 6, 2004, 04:18 PM
Depends on if it was a commercially encrypted DVD, and the size of the original. (Though, i would not try to copy over the network, just copy to the imac g4 HD.)

do a search for "Copy DVD" and you'll find solutions to any problems you may have.

ThatGirl
Aug 6, 2004, 05:44 PM
O.K. Thanks. I'll check it out. :)

seamuskrat
Aug 6, 2004, 06:22 PM
Your plan will not work.
You need to do a search for ideas. Search the macrumors forums, as recently many posts on this topic have been made.

BRIEFLY.

1. Rip DVD to harddrive using mactheripper (free), DVDBackup (free I think as well), or OSEX(free)

2. Now you have a decrypted DVD folder with a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder.

3. Now, is it 4.7 gigs or less?

YES then drag folder to TOAST and burn DVD (on DVD burner) BE SURE to make sure its set as DVDVideo and not some other format.
If its LARGER than 4.6 gigs, then you need to RECOMPRESS. For that you must purchase some applications like DVD2OneX. Then once compressed to 4.6 gigs you can burn in Toast.
A faster machine HELPS a lot in the ripping and recompression process.

I would like to make a copy of a DVD movie, for my own use, not to sell. I bought the original movie myself, legally, retail.

I have an older iMac Ruby, with a DVD player/CD burner drive, on Jaguar, and I have an iMac G4, also on Jaguar. They are networked via the broadband internet cable and a Linksys router.

Would it work to put the original movie in the drive in the Ruby iMac, put a blank DVD in my iMac G4, turn on file sharing, and copy it that way. I've done that to backup folders, etc, but never to try this.

Would it work? Do I need a special program to make it work?

oldschool
Aug 6, 2004, 07:45 PM
there is a much easier way. i don't remember the name of the program, but when i get to my computer at home i'll post it.

i think its easy dvd copy, but i'm not sure.

anyways it performs all the functions listed below in one simple application.

edit: this is the application http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22793

Your plan will not work.
You need to do a search for ideas. Search the macrumors forums, as recently many posts on this topic have been made.

BRIEFLY.

1. Rip DVD to harddrive using mactheripper (free), DVDBackup (free I think as well), or OSEX(free)

2. Now you have a decrypted DVD folder with a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder.

3. Now, is it 4.7 gigs or less?

YES then drag folder to TOAST and burn DVD (on DVD burner) BE SURE to make sure its set as DVDVideo and not some other format.
If its LARGER than 4.6 gigs, then you need to RECOMPRESS. For that you must purchase some applications like DVD2OneX. Then once compressed to 4.6 gigs you can burn in Toast.
A faster machine HELPS a lot in the ripping and recompression process.

seamuskrat
Aug 6, 2004, 11:24 PM
The program a move is excellent, but costs over $100.00 so may not be the best cheap option.

Sadly, nothing like DVDShrink exists for the mac.

there is a much easier way. i don't remember the name of the program, but when i get to my computer at home i'll post it.

i think its easy dvd copy, but i'm not sure.

anyways it performs all the functions listed below in one simple application.

edit: this is the application http://versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22793

maxvamp
Aug 7, 2004, 02:08 AM
You could always use DVDBackup and DVDRemaster to shrink the disc, once on the drive ( then compress ).

I might recommend update you Ruby to a G4 if you plan on doing this with any frequency. I plan on doing that with mine.

Max.

ThatGirl
Aug 7, 2004, 10:39 AM
thanks so much, everyone, for the information. :)

I've been following all of the links and reading everything, but I am just confused about one thing. Do I need both DVD2One and Fast DVD Copy together, or just one of them? I've been reading the user comments, and both have some very positive, and some very negative reviews. Anyone have any insight on this?

broken_keyboard
Aug 7, 2004, 11:06 AM
Just use the program HandBrake
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117

It will make a good quality Quicktime movie of your DVD and is really easy to use. Then you can back up the movie file like any other file...

jsw
Aug 7, 2004, 11:10 AM
DVD2one has a trial version (http://www.dvd2one.com/trial.php) which will, for free, test out that it works. Supposedly, it does it all, soup-to-nuts, without needing anything else (Toast, for example).

Richter
Aug 7, 2004, 03:46 PM
Requires DVDBackup, DVD2oneX, Toast

insert dvd and let the apple dvd player run for a bit
drag the dvd icon into DVDBackup
Process files into a folder that has the same name & case as the dvd
drag the above folder into DVD2oneX
select 'Movie Only' or 'Disc Copy' under the "Copy" option (
select audio source, subtitles (if any) & the file with the most chapters
Start & save into a DIFFERENT folder with the same name & case as the dvd
the resulting folder should be ~4 GB if you did a 'Movie Only'
Drag the folder from the DVD2oneX app and drag it into Toast
In Toast select 'Data' tab -> DVD-ROM (UDF) [<- have to select that in Toast 6]
start

ThatGirl
Sep 23, 2004, 12:31 PM
I had trouble with DVD2One, but Fast Copy DVD works GREAT!