Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple subsidiary Filemaker today announced that sales of its Bento iPhone and iPod touch application have topped 100,000 in the six months since the application's release. Bento is a personal database application that serves as a standalone application, but is also capable of synchronizing with the company's desktop software.
"Whether they want to take client information with them on the road, track trip expenses, create To Do lists, manage membership lists, get in shape or plan events, people are enthusiastically embracing Bento for iPhone and iPod touch to organize their busy lives," said Ryan Rosenberg, vice president, marketing and services, FileMaker, Inc. "We released Bento for iPhone just last May, and it is already among the most popular productivity apps on the Apple App Store."
Bento for the iPhone and iPod touch is available in the App Store for $4.99.

Article Link: Bento for iPhone and iPod Touch Tops 100,000 Sales

john0879

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2009
To Bento users out there. How are you using this app in your daily lives?

I want to like this app, but I don't have a use. I've tried the desktop version and it seems pretty nice. Just curious as to how others are using it.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I have a home inventory with pictures and a database of all my DVDs with pics as well.

Haven't found a use for the iPhone app.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Good to see apps that aren't $.99 and gimmick apps selling well.

hokka

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2003
Sydney
I've had it for about 2 months now, after I've had a go at the desktop version, useful to "enter" stuff and record it, not great if you want anything more fancy, for example, I wanted to to create 2 "choice"(drop-down list) that are linked, so if I pick choice # 6 on the first drop-down list, then the second drop-down list would show what is relevant to choice # 6 only, but no you can't, they can not be linked, essentially just a glorified spreadsheet with a pretty face and a fantastic search engine.

Also syncing takes forever between iPhone and the Desktop, at least 10-15 mins each time. The UI isn't THAT great and I wish there's more flexibility and a little faster on my 3GS.

Overall worth the mulla as it's like having 25 apps in 1

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I like FileMaker Pro, and use it a fair bit for various small things.

However, I struggle to see the use for Bento, as with the limitations on it, it is just too restricted. If I'm gonna spend ages entering data, I'd like to share it with other people too.

malachiman

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2008
New Zealand
I use it everyday for work

List my clients and their details, also I tag ones that need followup etc, found it very effective. Filemaker was overkill for me.

Its cut down on paper big time.

iksretep

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Los Angeles
Use it for just about anything...

I use Bento for just about anything. I have my movie collection (in case someone wants to see if I have "that" movie). I created a recipes database with ingredients for a large number of dishes, as well as a separate drinks recipes database. I have also a simple database of serial numbers and purchase dates for my software... the list of things I use Bento for is long.

I will actually share that I also have all my passwords stored in an unprotected database in Bento... I know it's an unprotected database so instead of typing out the whole "password" I simply type "p******d".

I purchased many different password storing apps, however... I like to keep things nice, simple, and in one place... Bento is perfect for it.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
The new version of the desktop app has both password protection and the ability to share databases.

I use this primarily to keep my student records. It's been particularly useful keep track of their presentations. I can score them right there on the iPhone and add a few quick comments. I did have to make sure they new I wasn't text messaging during their presentations however.

I also have a list of our English majors with their current GPA and lots of other information about them which has been very useful at times.

I also use it to keep track of the tapes for my digital video camera.

Most randomly, I use it to keep track of different kinds of natto I've tried. (it's kind of a gooey fermented soybean paste which is popular in Japan.) When I try a new kind of natto I take a picture of the wrapper and make some notes. It's very useful because otherwise I lose track of which brands I like. It's worked so well I'm going to do the same thing for onigiri next.

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
100,000 d/l's and only 271 reviews, 74 for the current version of which 1/3 give it 1 star :/

jennconducts

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2009
To Bento users out there. How are you using this app in your daily lives?

I want to like this app, but I don't have a use. I've tried the desktop version and it seems pretty nice. Just curious as to how others are using it.

I keep 2 databases on my phone with Bento. One of them, a listing of my CD/LP collection, is quite large. I wish that it was faster with that database, but I'm hoping that an upgrade to 3GS that is about to take place will help that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.