Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I have a question about bluetooth... I know it's a neat technology that will let you hook up your cell phone to your computer without wires, but what if you're standing with your cell phone right next to someone with a blue-tooth equipped computer... What's to keep them from downloading all of your contacts? Or what about when two people with bluetooth equipped Macs sitting right next to each other, and their computers start to communicate when they don't want them to...

I don't know, but from what I can see, bluetooth is starting to look like something microsoft would design- it always gets in your way when you don't want it to... Hopefully Apple has all of these worries worked out.

This also leads me to another question... Can you password-protect your bluetooth equipped stuff, like PDA's, Cell phones, etc.?

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Re: Bluetooth worries

Originally posted by G4scott
I have a question about bluetooth... I know it's a neat technology that will let you hook up your cell phone to your computer without wires, but what if you're standing with your cell phone right next to someone with a blue-tooth equipped computer... What's to keep them from downloading all of your contacts? Or what about when two people with bluetooth equipped Macs sitting right next to each other, and their computers start to communicate when they don't want them to...

I don't know, but from what I can see, bluetooth is starting to look like something microsoft would design- it always gets in your way when you don't want it to... Hopefully Apple has all of these worries worked out.

This also leads me to another question... Can you password-protect your bluetooth equipped stuff, like PDA's, Cell phones, etc.?

Yes you can password protect it. I also believe you can set up trusted devices that always communicate. Steve demoed this I believe. Basically like ethernet each bluetooth device will have a unique ID. You set password protection up on both the phone and the computer, pda or whatever. The computer would remember the password for that device or you can set it to ask for the password prior to connecting. All the security you need is there. No need to worry. :)

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
So, how long until they come out with bluetooth security crackers? How long would it take to run a dictionary attack against it?

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by peterjhill
So, how long until they come out with bluetooth security crackers? How long would it take to run a dictionary attack against it?

Considering you have to be closer than 30 feet to the device is that hacker going to follow you around? :)

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by synergy

Considering you have to be closer than 30 feet to the device is that hacker going to follow you around? :)

Imagine if you will an airport or coffee house or restaurant, or anywhere where there is a high density of people that aren't moving around too much, that people use laptops enough that they would not stick out.

There you go... (My employeers pay be to be paranoid)

synergy

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2002
Originally posted by peterjhill

Imagine if you will an airport or coffee house or restaurant, or anywhere where there is a high density of people that aren't moving around too much, that people use laptops enough that they would not stick out.

There you go... (My employeers pay be to be paranoid)

Well at least someone is paranoid. I mean that in a good way.:)
Not many people are worried about 802.11 security as well. I did a report for a company I worked with last summer on 802.11 security.
They listened but the clients they consult for don't really care and want it because its wireless. I remember seeing 802.11 wireless base stations in the local hospital.

Probably best thing to do is have authentication always turned on. I guess people being lazy they won't ever disable bluetooth since they want to use it right then and there when they need it and not have to think about turning on the feature.

I found this:
http://203.147.194.107/infotooth/knowbase/security/80.asp

But shortly after 802.11 caught on then the reports of the weakness of WEP came out. Guess will have to wait and see on bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.