PDA

View Full Version : Is the world getting dumb?

hansen
Aug 7, 2004, 04:08 AM
Wired's Cult of Mag Blog (http://blog.wired.com/cultofmac/) has one entry named "Official: Mac Users Are Smarter", which apparently shows that mac users are smarter than linux and Windows users. Further down there's an entry named "Linux More Popular Than Mac?" suggesting that Mac is loosing second place to Linux.

Is there a common mechanism behind these two? :)

(btw I'm still on Windows - what does that say about me?)

Nermal
Aug 7, 2004, 04:23 AM
Is the world getting dumb?

Do you even need to ask? :eek:

acceber
Aug 7, 2004, 05:18 AM
Murphy ran the posts through a Unix utility called Style, which produces several "readability metrics" based on vocabulary, spelling, sentence length and so on.

That is no indication whatsoever as to how "smart" somebody is. I know people who are extremely intelligent, but use "internet language" to add personality and character to the things they write, which of course, means writing with strange spellings and what have you. So running this program to produce readability metrics is a joke.

I'm a Mac user, by the way.

Abstract
Aug 7, 2004, 05:37 AM
I'm a Mac user by the way.

Your sentence requires the addition of a comma.

Mr. Anderson
Aug 7, 2004, 07:04 AM
The fault lies with Microsoft, of course...

http://www.presentations.com/presentations/delivery/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000482464

D

themadchemist
Aug 7, 2004, 10:02 PM
My friend, it's not really a matter of "getting."

stoid
Aug 7, 2004, 10:09 PM
I ask myself this question aloud just about every time I get behind the wheel of my car and am forced to deal with idiots on the road. I think that people should be required to pass an intelligence or maybe a common sense exam before they are issued their motor vehicle license.

Dr. Dastardly
Aug 7, 2004, 10:30 PM
I ask myself this question aloud just about every time I get behind the wheel of my car and am forced to deal with idiots on the road. I think that people should be required to pass an intelligence or maybe a common sense exam before they are issued their motor vehicle license.
WORD

Bolded for truth!

Duff-Man
Aug 7, 2004, 10:58 PM
Is the world getting dumb? Duff-Man says...if you happened to have clicked the link that the now banned newbie DIKKI posted in all of his spam threads the answer to that question would be obvious....oh yeah!

applemacdude
Aug 7, 2004, 10:58 PM
Is the World Getting Dumb?

Why Yes, Yes it is...

yellow
Aug 7, 2004, 11:05 PM
GETTING dumb? I thought it was already appallingly stupid..

Apple Hobo
Aug 7, 2004, 11:11 PM
I don't know about intelligence, but common sense sure as hell is disappearing rather quickly.

friarbayliff
Aug 7, 2004, 11:13 PM
GETTING dumb? I thought it was already appallingly stupid..

ditto

voicegy
Aug 8, 2004, 12:05 AM
I don't know about intelligence, but common sense sure as hell is disappearing rather quickly.

AMEN to that!

voicegy
Aug 8, 2004, 12:16 AM

http://www.presentations.com/presentations/delivery/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000482464

D

Fabulous link. I've always detested PowerPoint, and I used it all the time at the Educational Technology department at my district years ago - it was so hard to make something look interesting and creative with that piece of crap.

Now that I'm at the IT Department, when my Director creates a horrifically boring slide show with PP, he now routinely sends it to me to import into Keynote, where I add a few touches, get in some 3D transitions, and always elicit gasps and rapt attention from intended audiences.

Keynote SO rocks. :cool:

Sun Baked
Aug 8, 2004, 12:25 AM
Re: Is the world getting dumb?

Sounds like the world has already arrived.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3826

stoid
Aug 8, 2004, 12:29 AM
I always knew that Microsoft was the cause of all evil in the world! They have caused the average American to accept a supremely ****ty technology life as OK, and commonplace. Society should not be willing to understand technology that doesn't work. If ANY other product you purchased was as unreliable as your computer, you'd get rid of it. Why is this? Microsoft has passed **** off at the Gold Standard of computing.

Abstract
Aug 8, 2004, 02:18 AM
Fabulous link. I've always detested PowerPoint, and I used it all the time at the Educational Technology department at my district years ago - it was so hard to make something look interesting and creative with that piece of crap.

Now that I'm at the IT Department, when my Director creates a horrifically boring slide show with PP, he now routinely sends it to me to import into Keynote, where I add a few touches, get in some 3D transitions, and always elicit gasps and rapt attention from intended audiences.

Keynote SO rocks. :cool:

Um, not to burst your bubbles, but the criticisms of PowerPoint are the same for all slideshow presentation programs, and as such, applies to Keynote as well. I like Keynote because it doesn't look like Powerpoint, which everybody knows, but the criticisms are of bullet-style presentations in general, where Keynote is guilty as well.

MacFan26
Aug 8, 2004, 02:40 AM
They have caused the average American to accept a supremely ****ty technology life as OK, and commonplace. Society should not be willing to understand technology that doesn't work. If ANY other product you purchased was as unreliable as your computer, you'd get rid of it. Why is this? Microsoft has passed **** off at the Gold Standard of computing.

Exactly!! I don't like that people just accept stuff that doesn't work because it's what they think it's supposed to be like. I think more people are afraid of technology just because they already know it causes so many headaches and problems. :mad:

rock6079
Aug 8, 2004, 04:39 PM

it was jutafter getting my lisence that i realized how stupid people really are. i can't believe i walked for all those years and never got hit after seeing the ways some people drive

sushi
Aug 8, 2004, 11:13 PM

D
Maybe! :D

Seriously, PP does have some wonderful features. Unfortunately, many folks abuse their use and forget the purpose of the presentation. There is nothing worse than having to sit through a presentation with all kinds of gimmics or nonapplicable annimations. It seems these days, many folks forget the purpose of the presentation and focus on extranious material.

Sushi

sushi
Aug 8, 2004, 11:14 PM
So true!

Sushi

homerjward
Aug 9, 2004, 12:09 AM
Is the world getting dumb?

i believe the word is dumber :p

Mechcozmo
Aug 9, 2004, 12:35 AM
Take on the song "Hot! Hot! Hot!"

Stupid people, all around me...
STUPID STUPID STUPID!

YEA!

Try talking to the lady who is on some 24-hour vigil at Laffeyte Park, at the front of the White House. She is scary, and crazy. I took a picture. She has become something of a tourist attraction (been there since '81, methinks). She is stupid...makes everyone mad, because she belives in (or does she?) in so many things...gah!

vniow
Aug 9, 2004, 01:10 AM
I would think so. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=83474)

7on
Aug 9, 2004, 01:39 AM
Either the world is getting more stupid, or I am becoming smarter.

edesignuk
Aug 9, 2004, 01:41 AM
I would think so. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=83474)
Damn it, I was just about to post a link to that thread saying "Yes, I think so." ;) :D

Mike Teezie
Aug 9, 2004, 01:47 AM
It sure seems that way.