Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Styxtastic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2009
I have a Canon ZR800 DV camera, and I am trying to import large amounts of footage in at the same time. There are no timecode breaks, and the entire tape is used up. I try to capture now, and just leave it run, but it consistently stops every 9 minutes, 24 seconds, and 3 frames. It says that it stops due to a lack of hard drive space, but I'm importing it directly to my external hard drive, with at least 400 gbs of memory. I'm using, once again, a
Code:
Canon ZR800 Camcorder, on a Macbook, importing directly to a Hard Drive with at least 400 gb of memory using Final Cut Express 4
Has this ever happened to anyone, or are there solutions? Or do you think that I should just use an alternate program? If you do, could you make a suggestion? Thanks.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I'm not 100% sure about this, but it may be due to how your external HD is formatted.

Certain formats (FAT32) only allow a single file transfer to the drive to be less than 4GBs. So, if you're uploading a movie from FCE, it creates a single file, once that file reaches 4GB, the HD will not be able to transfer anymore.

Here's how to check. Open up the app named DISK UTILITY. Then on the sidebar, select your external HD and then check the format. I put a picture up to show an example but be sure to select your external as I selected my Macintosh HD.

That's my guess. I could be wrong.

If that is the case, than this is the painful solution: you need to move everything off your external HD on your MacBook (as everything on the external will be deleted). Then, through Disk Utility, reformat your external HD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then move everything back from the MacBook to the external HD.

In that format, you can transfer a single file as large as the drive itself if you wanted. However, I think Windows computers can't read that external HD unless you download a special program on the Windows machine (FYI).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 42
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.