Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aznkid25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Apple has just approved the ESPN ScoreCenter 1.5.0 update. This update now includes push notifications, and a page for favorite teams (myTeams). If the update doesn't show up for you, try deleting the app, and re-downloading it. Personally, I have been using the beta version of this app for the past few months, and I thought that it was very nice.

nyisles84

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I had alerts on for the Islanders game tonight and didn't get one notification for the periods ending and all the score changes.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
They have definitely improved the load time and overall speed of the app. I haven't had a chance to test out the alerts yet. Overall, the UI is much better than Sportacular and doesn't suffer from the option overload Sportacular has. I also think the Scorecenter displays stats in a much more readable way. Plus, it is nice to be able to read recaps directly from the app unlike Sportacular. I really hopes this gets Sportacular to step up it's development efforts.

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I didn't receive any push notifications tonight after installing it. Maybe they haven't activated the feature or something. I've set them up within the app.

navguy

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2009
They have definitely improved the load time and overall speed of the app ... I also think the Scorecenter displays stats in a much more readable way.

Ditto ... I've replaced SportsTap with ScoreCenter on my home screen. It's about time ESPN ... not a big alert user, but hope they fix that.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I hate that the myteams screen comes up first. is there any way to change the order of the screens? I'd like the NFL scoreboard screen to come up first. I tried turning off show myteams first in settings but that doesnt do it.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Add another person to the list that didn't receive any notifications last night. I had it set up for the Lakers-Jazz game, and didn't get anything. I even used Backgrounder to keep the app running, but still, nothing.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Downloaded this update too late last night to try any alerts, but I looked and it doesn't seem you can set alerts for individual games....?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Downloaded this update too late last night to try any alerts, but I looked and it doesn't seem you can set alerts for individual games....?

Yes you can. Pull up the boxscore for any individual game, and in the bottom left hand corner of that box score should be a bell icon. If you click on that, you can set alerts for that particular game.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
Yes you can. Pull up the boxscore for any individual game, and in the bottom left hand corner of that box score should be a bell icon. If you click on that, you can set alerts for that particular game.

Cool - thanks. I'll give this a shot for a few days and see how it compares to Sportacular.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
I had alerts on for the Islanders game tonight and didn't get one notification for the periods ending and all the score changes.

Same here nyisles84, I was watching the game, but wanted to see if the alerts worked. Got my alerts from Sportacular, not ESPN. BTW, Tavares is awesome !

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
I hate that the myteams screen comes up first. is there any way to change the order of the screens? I'd like the NFL scoreboard screen to come up first. I tried turning off show myteams first in settings but that doesnt do it.

Actually, yes it does. If you disable the "Show myTeams first" setting, ScoreCenter will open on the last screen you closed on. So, if you closed on NFL, that's what will open next time.

nyisles84

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
Same here nyisles84, I was watching the game, but wanted to see if the alerts worked. Got my alerts from Sportacular, not ESPN. BTW, Tavares is awesome !

Yea i was watching it at the Islanders Point Blank party, never got one notification. and JT is/going to be a beast

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Sticking with Sportacular Pro. It works, is lightning quick and has everything I need. Plus they've been responsive about updating regularly.

I will keep Sportacular Pro around, but I am going to switch to the Scorecenter app for now (assuming notifications start working). This update does fix the loading issues. In fact, it started about 2 seconds faster on my 3G than Sportacular does. I have found that Sportacular has a lot more features, but the ESPN app does everything better. I really don't care about most of the features of Sportacular. IMHO, if Sportacular could find a way to create a UI as fast and easy to navigate as the ESPN app, I would switch back in a heart beat. That, along with providing the AP recaps of games.

dthmtlgod

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2007
Syracuse, NY
I will keep Sportacular Pro around, but I am going to switch to the Scorecenter app for now (assuming notifications start working). This update does fix the loading issues. In fact, it started about 2 seconds faster on my 3G than Sportacular does. I have found that Sportacular has a lot more features, but the ESPN app does everything better. I really don't care about most of the features of Sportacular. IMHO, if Sportacular could find a way to create a UI as fast and easy to navigate as the ESPN app, I would switch back in a heart beat. That, along with providing the AP recaps of games.

I am getting push notifications now for the Boston Bruins. Pretty sweet except for the ESPN jingle. :D:D

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Actually, yes it does. If you disable the "Show myTeams first" setting, ScoreCenter will open on the last screen you closed on. So, if you closed on NFL, that's what will open next time.

thats weird, it doesn't work that way for me. It always opens up myteams first no matter what.

nyisles84

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
yup, i tested it out on a couple of games tonight. glad to see it working. and implemented nicely as well

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.