PDA

View Full Version : 4G not responding..HELP!

OUTSIDEZ
Aug 7, 2004, 04:09 PM
Got my 4G on Wed. Has worked like a charm..till today.

Twice today after turning off my ipod it failed to respond when I went to use it.

A soft reset (select/menu held for 6 sec) solved the problem.

I got it at Best Buy and have 30 days to return/exchange it. After that I am SOL..or I deal with Apple.

In the 10 months I had my 3G I had to reset it maybe once or twice. So I am a little freaked.

Should I exchange it now?

Keep it another week and see if it keeps happening?

Don't worry..as long as a reset wakes it up you are fine?

Return it..then go back and buy a new one but at the same time buy a Best Buy 4 yr protection plan? (The problem with that option is I will have to go another week or two w/o my ipod as I do not have the extra $40).

Which one should I do? And,why is this happening? Any ideas?

King Cobra
Aug 7, 2004, 04:41 PM
Unless your iPod is treated like a 2-year-old that drools over everything while duct-taped to a squeaky crib, there is a 99% chance that you won't need to return your iPod. The iPod, as an mp3 player, is fairly problematic, but almost all of the problems can be diverted yourself. Look through Apple's KBase (http://www.apple.com/support/) first if you encounter a problem with your iPod that you can't resolve. Chances (again, 99% or so) are that you won't need to return/replace your iPod because of various iPod issues.

OUTSIDEZ
Aug 7, 2004, 05:47 PM
Ok, but I should not have to keep resetting my ipod 2,3 times a day to get it to turn on. My 3G almost never gave me any performace issues.

I can see a soft reset being neccessary once or twice a month. Not twice a day.

I think I'll keep it another few days and see if it keeps happening. As I recall I had to reset my 3G once about 2 days after I got it and never again did I have to. I hope it's just because it's new and my 4G will go back to acting properly.

I am being extra cautious as I do only have the 30 days.

King Cobra
Aug 7, 2004, 05:54 PM
That shouldn't happen... even my 5GB iPod never had to be reset more than once in a day (except well into its usage period). You can also do other resets, like holding down all four buttons and the center one for about 5 seconds... I call that the "code red" reset. Or maybe you need to calibrate your iPod's battery. I think once you have charged and kept recharging your iPod enough times those problems should go away.

Oh, and important tip: Keep your iPod charged instead of letting it drain out of battery, unless you don't plan to use it for a while. Those battery drains do wierd things to your iPod, which require more extensive resets (again, you can find more info by going through the iPod articles at the KBase).

OUTSIDEZ
Aug 7, 2004, 10:12 PM
Good tip,that may be it.

I got it on Wed. and the battery was almost full. By the time I had finished loading my ipod it had been hooked up to the PC long enough to give it almost a full charge so Thursday night/Friday morning was the first time I plugged it into the wall. So,maybe it was something to do w/ the battery. After I had to reset the second time I went and put it on the AC..so I will see if that helps.

:)