Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moron

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
London
If somebody could help me with this problem, I'll be forever in their debt! :D

I've just graduated from uni, have got a good job in London, and I'm moving to my first flat...it's all exciting stuff :D I'm trying to sort out all the stuff i'm taking, and rather than take a DVD player, i'd rather just take my big TV and my Powerbook Ti. I've got the cable which allows me to connect my laptop to my tv, but for some reason the picture i get is in black and white which, obviously, is rubbish for watching DVDs and stuff like that.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I can't figure it out! If anyone can help me out I'll be forever in their favour! :D

mike

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I had this problem once on a pc, I never did figure it out but it is a really weird problem.

I am curious if anyone knows the answer to this as well.

abhishekit

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
akron , ohio
I am sure it has to do with NTSC and PAL format. When you connect the external monitor goto system prefs-displays, and play with the settings there, choose different color schemes and try..

hope it helps

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
I suspect that you may be connecting an S-Video out (from you laptop) to a non S-Video compatible input on your TV or video unit. The result of this is a black and white image. The solution is to use the S-Video to Component adaptor that came with the PowerBook to convert the S-Vid signal to Component (RCA). You can then plug this into the component video input on your tv/vhs player (yellow rca jack) or through a scart adaptor.

Alternatively, as if you needed more options, you may be able to use your original cabling setup but set the TV input to an S-Vid compatible AV channel (often depicted as a TV screen with an S inside it on the on screen display).

Hope this is of some help - I have had to work out how do exactly the same thing over the past few days and am passing on the peculiarities I found out in the process.

Best of luck, the results are worth it.

Al

swisswuff

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2003
solution:

here is how i connected a powerbook g4 500 mhz to the tv:

a. i restarted powerbook WHILE command-option-p-r are pressed down, and i kept holding them down, until i heard the computer directly restarting a second time. that is how one zaps the pram, and frees the computer of previously stored video settings.

b. i got myself some cables. here is what i got:

- a video adapter cable for the tv. on one end, i can plug it into the tv using a scart plug. the other end has female cinch-plugs (3 of them: yellow video, red and black audio plugs), and it has an s-video plug.

- an audio adapter cable for the powerbook. on one end, it plugs into the powerbook (3.5 mm stereo), the other end is a black/red cinch male plug to go into the video adapter cable for the tv.

- an s-video cable (s-video plugs on both ends). this was a wrong purchase, but keep reading. DONT GET THIS CABLE if you are coming up with a shopping list..

- an s-video - to video (yellow cinch) plug- converter cable. (that's the one to get!).

c. here is how i hooked it up:

first attempt: s-video cable to go from powerbook into s-video plug on video adapter cable. audio cable to go from 3.5mm-audio-out on powerbook to yellow cinch - plug on video adapter cable. result: perfect audio, perfectly crisp but strangely colorless image on tv. i was able to reproduce the experience of other powerbook users, who report grayscale tv image display that can not be fixed, whatever one does on the setup software side.

second attempt (after playing with os x video setup, reading other reports about the same problem and concluding it had to be a hardware problem): s-video-adaptercable to connect s-video on powerbook to yellow videocinch plug on video adaptercable going into scart on tv. audio cable as previously specified. result: perfect color image.

caveats: some scart plugs may have very sharp connectors so you may accidentally cut yourself. make sure, you don't have a loose contact; some cables fall out due to their sheer weight.

d. mac setup after physical connection to tv

each time i hook up a new display, i end up pulling up the system preferences > displays control panel to set arrangement, resolution, color depth; os x panther allows one to optimize output for tv and employ overscanning. also, it may make sense to run through a color calibration when first hooking up a new display device.

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
I'm pretty sure that this is exactly what I suggested on the 8th August, except you seem to be using the term 'video-cinch' as opposed to 'component'. I'm pleased you've now got is sussed though, it is very satisfying when a plan comes together.

A

swisswuff

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2003
pinks said:
The solution is to use the S-Video to Component adaptor that came with the PowerBook to convert the S-Vid signal to Component (RCA). You can then plug this into the component video input on your tv/vhs player (yellow rca jack) or through a scart adaptor.

Yes, just what you posted on August 8th. What threw me off initially, though, was the part 'that came with the PowerBook'.

It took me a moment to find out that S-Video-to-RCA / cinch adapters are by no means restricted to Apple computers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.