Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I use my computer mostly for email, Internet, AppleWorks, photos, etc.

Should I get the NEW 23 inch Apple monitor or the NEW 23 inch monitor? Couldn't I save a little money buying ther old one? I heard there really wasn't much difference between the 2 monitors.

Does anyone know what the old 23" Apple monitors are going for now?

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Mac2004 said:
Should I get the NEW 23 inch Apple monitor or the NEW 23 inch monitor?
Sounds like your interested in a NEW monitor and already answeared your question. :D

The new monitor is a better monitor hands down. But the Old one is still a damn fine monitor. If your mostly using it for Applworks and Safari and interested in saving some money in the process, then get the old one.

But your comment with photos is puzzeling me slightly. Are you strictly a iphoto user or are you a Photoshop guru. If its the later then you might consider the New screen just for the higher quality output.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
The old 23" Cinema HD should do you just fine. But do you really want such a big monitor for non-pro work? The 20" Cinema display is quite big and has excellent clarity, plus its quite a bit less than the 23".

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
My opinion

I think the older Apple displays are better looking than the new ones. My friends who were with me tonight also thought so. The new ones just don't impress me.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Mac2004 said:
I think the older Apple displays are better looking than the new ones. My friends who were with me tonight also thought so. The new ones just don't impress me.

I think that the new Aluminum displays are very impressive. Very solid machines. Another good use is using them to view DVD's.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
crazzyeddie said:
The old 23" Cinema HD should do you just fine. But do you really want such a big monitor for non-pro work? The 20" Cinema display is quite big and has excellent clarity, plus its quite a bit less than the 23".

I agree - the 20" is an exceptional device. While the 23" is also a great display, it is not as high quality (brightness, clarity) as the 20" in the older version (different technology).

I'd go with the 20" and save some money.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
New or old?

Are you talking about the old or new 20 inch display?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Mac2004 said:
Are you talking about the old or new 20 inch display?

The old 20" vs. the old 23" - the old 20" is better technology than the old 23". In the newer models, I can't say, because I haven't tested yet, or even investigated to a large degree.

But my company does professional design/high end color editing, and we love the 20". We'd got about 100 of them, and they've done really well by us (the old ones).

Brightness is great, color fidelity is fantastic, and they're sharp (picture). Design-wise, it's a crap shoot, as far as I'm concerned. Both have their highs and lows.

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
emw said:
The old 20" vs. the old 23" - the old 20" is better technology than the old 23". In the newer models, I can't say, because I haven't tested yet, or even investigated to a large degree.
The new 23" is superior to the new 20" in my eyes, and in the eyes of the few reviews I've read. The old 23" is not going to be much cheaper than the new 23", and the new one is considerably smaller, brighter, faster and more evenly lit. An easy decision: go for the new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.