Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget reports on a Twitter post from Eldar Murtazin, editor-in-chief of Russian mobile phone blog Mobile-Review, claiming that Apple's long-time partner Foxconn has received the manufacturing contract for the next-generation iPhone.
Foxconn received order for next generation iphone
Mobile-Review reportedly has a very strong track record in the mobile phone rumor community, but has rarely turned its attention to the iPhone.

Foxconn has been Apple's iPhone manufacturing partner since production began on the original version, which launched in mid-2007. For the original iPhone, sources had claimed the previous November that Foxconn had been tabbed as the iPhone's manufacturer, suggesting that a new contract now would not be out of the ordinary for a launch in mid-2010.

Article Link: Foxconn Reportedly Receives Contract to Manufacture Next-Generation iPhone

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

And now we wait for the deluge of speculated specs.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Multi-core, more RAM, 64GB model, higher quality camera with autofocus and flash, dedicated camera button, front mounted camera for video calls.

"Most powerful iPhone ever"

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Multi-core, more RAM, 64GB model, higher quality camera with autofocus and flash, dedicated camera button, front mounted camera for video calls.

And thats just the low-end model

kiddax

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
San Antonio

Hold on, they need to make more money...that's like 4 more revisions worth of new features you've listed there.

Not that I have any real problem with my dreams coming true or anything... :D

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England

Not too sure about a multi-core model, particularly as Apple isn't too keen on multi-tasking anyway and they'll probably want to improve battery life. I think something like a ~1 GHz processor is more likely.

64 GBs and a better camera are highly likely, hopefully with 720p recording too. 3.8" display at 800x480 or similar is my most wanted feature.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
well i think it will have to be something really special for me to upgrade.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Gotta love it. Some guy tweets 7 words and the Apple blogs go to town with articles about nothing.

SiMPLEGuy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2009
Which networK?

Apple iPhone 4GS... GSM, CDMA, LTE? All of the above?

LTE is the 'Long Term Evolution' for a 50Mbps future and VoIP. June of 2010 will see first rollouts beyond current test markets.

Is it time for Apple to break its exclusive with AT&T and sell to all the carriers?

I saw yesterday where the iPhone would benefit from less power hungry chips. The new Ustre.am broadcasting App took more juice than the USB power connection could provide it. And Apple doesn't want to support multi-tasking on current chips because the "user experience" will deteriorate; they need new silicon and an interface that won't confuse my mom.

I am one year into my AT&T contract and still loving this device. I even use it to make the occasional phone call. Reminds me of my Handspring Prism.

ma2ha3

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
foxconn?so they are going to beat up some china man again if china man lost the next generation iphone?

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002

Now you're talking!

With the abundance of apps available + videos, media, etc., 64GiB will be a welcome option.

A 5 megapixel lens with digital zoom would be nice, as would utilizing new, micro built-in flash technology - a front mounted camera, incorporating photo pixel technology, such as Pixim's would be impressive.

Most important of all, better battery performance via advances with lithium ion tech, and OS battery efficiency, will be greatly appreciated, across the board.

Looking forward.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
What? I would have thought that they would have been on to this months ago, and have the prototypes floating around by now.

Besides who elese had a iPod dedicated "city" established to buid the damn things other than Foxconn.

iphonetester

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Most requested feature by me is front camera with iChatAV. But there is long list for improvement like battery live, Multi-Tasking etc...basically as per this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-NEW-iPhone-4G-Coming-2010

Removable battery? Really - I think the author needs to learn about Apple technology better - they are deliberately eliminating any physical parts for battery to be removed for (a) longer lasting capacity (b) for slimmer profile

I am sure next iPhone will not have a removable battery.

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
You lost aaah-Protoype-ahh-gain!!!!! Hoyaaah!

foxconn?so they are going to beat up some china man again if china man lost the next generation iphone?

Acheh!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 1,227

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I would like what other have posted but most of all Apple ending its exclusivity with ATT and head to VZ, not only will I have a shiny new apple production but my wallet will be happy too b/c the stock will rise; its a win win for me :p

Thex1138

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2009
Sydney, Australia
What was wrong with that?

"Is that how you're going to say it?"

"No, no. See, that's no good. See, you don't know how to act!"

Do it like this: "These RUMORS are making me THIRSTY..."

What was wrong with that?? I had a different interpretation! Do you know anything about this Foxconn guy?! Maybe he's been in the bar a really long time and he's really depressed because he has no iPhone and no Tablet to build and he's parking cars for a living!

(out the window to honking cars) Alright! Alright! Shut up! Shut up! I hear you! I'm coming down! These RUMORS are making me thirsty!!

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
What was wrong with that?? I had a different interpretation! Do you know anything about this Foxconn guy?! Maybe he's been in the bar a really long time and he's really depressed because he has no iPhone and no Tablet to build and he's parking cars for a living!

(out the window to honking cars) Alright! Alright! Shut up! Shut up! I hear you! I'm coming down! These RUMORS are making me thirsty!!

HAHAHA!! (and to think, it was he, who invented the concept of the iToilet)

some time later....

"These rumors are making me thirsty." (He reads the next post)

"Boy, these rumors ARE making me thirsty."

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
leaks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

And now we wait for the deluge of speculated specs.

and case pics...

Gotta love it. Some guy in Russia tweets 7 words and the Apple blogs go to town with articles about nothing.

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.