PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous printing to an XP-shared printer?

micsaund
Aug 7, 2004, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

I'm trying to set-up my new PB so it can print to an Epson CX3200 that's attached to my main WinXP Pro machine.

I found the info on the super-secret ALT-Add in the Printer List to get the "Windows Printer via SAMBA" option (which makes me ask 1) WTH is that a hidden option and 2) WTH can't I EDIT a printer entry made this way instead of deleting/re-adding it???)

Anyway, I can get the PB to print to the Epson just fine if I use:

smb://mike: password@workgroup/horus/cx3200
(no space after the : above - just did that to keep it from showing-up as smiley)

That works great.

However, I'm NOT thrilled with having to have my password visible in some ASCII cups conf file. So, I figured I'd enable the Guest account on my XP machine and things would work. Wrong...

I have tried:

smb://workgroup/horus/cx3200
smb://guest@workgroup/horus/cx3200
smb://guest:@workgroup/horus/cx3200

and none of them work. The Guest account should not have a password (I think), so how am I supposed to enter the smb line so I don't keep getting the NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED or NT_STATUS_LOGON_TYPE_NOT_GRANTED (after a long timeout) on the PB?

Have any of you tackled this yet and have some advice?

I'm really surprised that this is not easier to do - there's no way the "average" Mac user would figure all this stuff out. Surely, what I"m trying to do is NOT that atypical... :mad:

Thanks,
Mike

MisterMe
Aug 7, 2004, 10:19 PM

However, I'm NOT thrilled with having to have my password visible in some ASCII cups conf file. So, I figured I'd enable the Guest account on my XP machine and things would work. Wrong...

....Create an account that you use exclusively for printing.

7on
Aug 7, 2004, 10:25 PM
Try Windows Printing, which is the answer to #1. It's hidden because "Windows Printing" is a better option. If there seems to be problems with your PC printers showing up, I've found it to be a problem with the Windows.

micsaund
Aug 7, 2004, 11:32 PM
Try Windows Printing, which is the answer to #1. It's hidden because "Windows Printing" is a better option. If there seems to be problems with your PC printers showing up, I've found it to be a problem with the Windows.

Unfortunately, I don't ever get anything showing-up in the Printer List/Add if I select that option. I can see the WORKGROUP, but no printer. :confused:

It does a "searching for drivers" and shows the "WORKGROUP" in the drop-down, but the Name/Comment section is empty. I suspect that it has to do with the Guest account (for anonymous access) because I use logins on all of my machines.

I have thought of making a "printing only" account, but that's really a last-stand, cheezy solution IMO and I'd prefer to find the "right" way to do it. ;)

Mike

buddyspencer
Dec 23, 2005, 01:50 AM
Unfortunately, I don't ever get anything showing-up in the Printer List/Add if I select that option. I can see the WORKGROUP, but no printer. :confused:

It does a "searching for drivers" and shows the "WORKGROUP" in the drop-down, but the Name/Comment section is empty. I suspect that it has to do with the Guest account (for anonymous access) because I use logins on all of my machines.

I have thought of making a "printing only" account, but that's really a last-stand, cheezy solution IMO and I'd prefer to find the "right" way to do it. ;)

Mike

The "Windows-Printing" Idea also doesn't work with my System.

But like you, i also wanna have this problem solved. i don't want, that others can see my password as easy, as it works with cups. the way by creating a new will not work, because it's my student-account (i only get ONE account) and a wanna use my powerbook with printers at the university.

i hope anyone has an idea? maybe in a way like securing the cups directory with .htaccess?? or configuring the cupsd.conf file. but i don't know how?!

buddyspencer
Dec 31, 2005, 05:53 AM
The "Windows-Printing" Idea also doesn't work with my System.

But like you, i also wanna have this problem solved. i don't want, that others can see my password as easy, as it works with cups. the way by creating a new will not work, because it's my student-account (i only get ONE account) and a wanna use my powerbook with printers at the university.

i hope anyone has an idea? maybe in a way like securing the cups directory with .htaccess?? or configuring the cupsd.conf file. but i don't know how?!

no idea??