Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Im going to be getting a G5 soon(actually rethinking it) and I am going to college next year. By next may ill probally get the new G5 powerbook(or whatever is out at that time) to bring back and fourth from college... The only thing is, its gonna act as my main desktop for each samester(6 weeks) that Im not home.

I guess my question is should I just bring the desktop to college with me(or will it be a pain to set back up every samester), and just get a cheap ibook to bring home on weekends with me or do I get a 17" G5 powerbook and skip the desktop?(the only problm is Im a pretty big power user and I dont know if the G5 powerbook would be sufficiant)

P.S. Now that I have re-read what I have written I want to appologize for my compicated questions.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Not that you're jumping the gun or anything, but maybe you should wait to see what the specs on the G5 PBs turn out to be...

No matter what they are, desktops will always be more powerful than laptops ay any given time. When the G5 PB's are announced, there will likely be dual-3.0+GHz G5 desktops, and the PBs aren't likely to exceed 2.0GHz in a single processor.

However, all things considered, most threads here end up recommending a laptop over a desktop for portability, although a high-end desktop/low-end laptop is also a decent idea.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Rob587 said:
Im going to be getting a G5 soon(actually rethinking it) and I am going to college next year. By next may ill probally get the new G5 powerbook(or whatever is out at that time) to bring back and fourth from college... The only thing is, its gonna act as my main desktop for each samester(6 weeks) that Im not home.

I guess my question is should I just bring the desktop to college with me(or will it be a pain to set back up every samester), and just get a cheap ibook to bring home on weekends with me or do I get a 17" G5 powerbook and skip the desktop?(the only problm is Im a pretty big power user and I dont know if the G5 powerbook would be sufficiant)

Heh, I'm not sure what kind of "power using" you intend to use your computer for, but any Powerbook G5 that your mind can fathom should be able to meet your needs.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Ya everyone seems to be a little biased when it comes to the PB... I will be Gaming, video editing, garage banding, isyncing, and word processing. And just about all of the other ing's there are to do on a mac. lol

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Dont make my mistake, get a G5 desktop and a cheap iBook. There is an absolutely huge disadvantage to having a single processor under OS X. Not a day goes by that I don't consciously notice my single processor slowing me down when doing simple tasks. No matter how good you think a Powerbook G5 will be when you get it, a desktop bought at the same time will be between 2 and 4 times faster, for less money usually. The iBook G4's are nice portable machines with reasonable price tags and theyre pretty durable, too. The G5 2.0ghz and 2.5ghz are looking very good right now, actually the Dual 2.5ghz is the best deal (500mhz extra per cpu + faster video with more VRAM for only $500 more).

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Here is what my plan is:

What I have:
Dell Dimension 4300 heavily modified...it's now a media station.
G3 iBook (just got it a few weeks ago)

Next year:
eMac, PowerMac G4 or a PowerMac G5 (depending on how much I really a) can spend b) feel like spending)

Final year of college (about 2 years from now, on the five year plan lol)
17" Powerbook.

I also plan on getting a pair of LCD's maybe Apple brand...maybe not.

Take it for what its worth.
Mike

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
buy the g5 tower now. you don't want the rev. a of the g5 powerbook trust me. i think it will have plenty of problems in the first generation, especially because they are switching to such a hot architecture/processor. get the rev. b G5 powerbook in two-three years. you can live without the computer while you're at home, i'd assume your parents have one that you could use.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
While there may be a reason to have an all-encompassing computer, I can't imagine a laptop machine being that one.

Even if you have to get an older dual G4 machine and a 12 inch laptop computer, it's better than having one 17 inch laptop machine. The 17 is a huge compromise. It's too big to be truly portable and it really has no power advantage over the smaller machines, let alone desktop machines.

With the older desktop machine, you could afford to fill it with quality RAM and feel comfortable with how it performs. With a 12 inch laptop machine, you've got the ultimate in portability in a complete package.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.