Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thussy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I'm new to OS X, and i'm just learning still... and I LOVE IT.

Konfabulator is the coolest program in the world btw.

Anywho, I can't figurte out how to arrange icons neatly. It seems that as i drag new programs in the more messy it gets.. with icons overlapping and such.

I'ts probably somethign really easy, but I can't figure it out!

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
Im not a Mac user(yet) so I cant help you out with your question, but I have a question for you about your signature. If it says 15" pb soon how are you having a problem with OS X. lol.... sorry I always point stupid things out. :rolleyes:

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Don't know if this is what you mean, but:

With the Finder on top (i.e., the top left-hand of the menu bar says "Finder"), go to View->Show View Options, or just hit ⌘-J.

You'll see options there to arrange icons however you want.

Thussy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I haven't updated it.. i will right now.

And yes that's what I was wondering.. thanks!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
If you're viewing your directories as icons only, use Finder -> View -> Clean Up to rearrange them so they aren't overlapping. But you should get used to list or column view. Much more versitile and easy to find things.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
How do you arrange icons on the desktop?

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to jump directly to System Preferences?

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Why won't my HD icon stay still on desktop?

Well, as long as this thread is here and the original has been answered, I'm going to ask a dumb question. In OSX, I find that my "Macintosh HD" icon won't stay in what has always been its home - in the upper right hand corner.

Every time I reboot, it removes itself from that location, leaving the corner empty. I generally move it back, but I do so knowing I'll have to move it back again the next morning.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas? It really is kind of annoying.

Thanks!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
jsalzer said:
Well, as long as this thread is here and the original has been answered, I'm going to ask a dumb question. In OSX, I find that my "Macintosh HD" icon won't stay in what has always been its home - in the upper right hand corner.

I've found some strangeness in the OSX Desktop & snap to grid. 2 of my 3 Macs have "dead spots" where if I try to drag something into them, the icon goes 'zinging' off into another spot on the desktop. Annoying.
I finally gave up and started sorting my desktop by kind. That way all my disks/partitions are at the top, and everything trails after that. It took some getting used to, but it's working so far.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Gherkin said:
How do you arrange icons on the desktop?
See above - the ⌘-J method will show you a number of arrangement options.

Gherkin said:
Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to jump directly to System Preferences?
Not by default. However, it's not only present in the Apple menu (upper-left, menu bar) but in your Dock. If it's not in your dock for some reason, either drag it there from the Applications folder, or, when it's running, right (or control) click on the dock icon and choose "Keep in Dock".

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jsalzer said:

Every time I reboot, it removes itself from that location, leaving the corner empty. I generally move it back, but I do so knowing I'll have to move it back again the next morning.

Has anyone else run into this? Any ideas? It really is kind of annoying.

Thanks!
Here's something to try which might work and which won't hurt anything:

Open up Terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal). In the Terminal window, type (hitting 'return' after each line):

cd ~/Desktop
mv .DS_Store OldDS_Store

Then you can quit Terminal.

This will get rid off the .DS_Store file which tracks the locations of icons in the directory. It's not a necessary file - you can delete it and it'll get regenerated. The command above merely moves it elsewhere. To move it back, if you want to, you can always repeat the above and enter:

cd ~/Desktop
mv OldDS_Store .DS_Store

Anyway, before moving it back (which is actually not necessary), see if the "dead" area now goes away. If it works, don't move the old file back. In fact, you'll almost undoubtedly never need to move it back.

This might not work, but it won't hurt anything.

Edit: you might actually need to do this from another account, as it seems to do nothing when you're logged in and, obviously, using your Desktop, which means the Desktop's .DS_Store file is in memory. That makes this a non-beginner project. Easy, but not so easy that you might not mess something up.

Blurb

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
And another way...

From the Finder->View menu, you can just highlight <Arrange> and it will show all the options for arranging icons right there to immediately click on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.