PDA

View Full Version : 2004 athens olympics

homerjward
Aug 7, 2004, 11:48 PM
is anyone here going to the olympics? im really excited about it cause it's in athens this year which is of course where they started. plus it's the first summer olympics after 9/11 so it'll be interesting to see how they handle security compared to sydney and also to salt lake. is josh davis competing in the swimming? he's originally from my neighborhood so it'd be cool to see him win. gosh, im so excited.

acceber
Aug 8, 2004, 12:35 AM
Nope, not going to Athens. I think the majority of those who are going are really into the games, or have brothers, sisters, wives, dads, etc competing.

The cost of security in Athens is five times more expensive that it did to keep Sydney secure. That says a lot.

Doctor Q
Aug 8, 2004, 01:47 AM
I'm an Olympics fan but on the other side of the world this time. I'll be watching from afar.

Abstract
Aug 8, 2004, 02:40 AM
Do other countries help with the cost of security? Surely, since the security threat is due to the presence of certain countries, Greece shouldn't have to fork over the incredibly absurd price of security this year. I can see there being a big problem if security wasn't so tight, but damn, Greece is going to take a huge financial hit from this Olympics.

scem0
Aug 8, 2004, 12:53 PM
I'll be watching all the diving (on TV). I used to dive with Troy Dumais, so it will be really cool to see him dive.

scem0

wdlove
Aug 8, 2004, 04:55 PM
I'm looking forward to the Athens Olympics also. Always enjoy the opening and closing ceremonies. Find them to be very moving. So I will be following team USA.

obeygiant
Aug 8, 2004, 05:10 PM
I got the 50 inch HDTV warmed up for the 100 meter dash, baby!

yellow
Aug 8, 2004, 05:55 PM
"sigh"

I want a big ol' HDTV too... :(