Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

043640-pixelqi.jpg

A small startup company called Pixel Qi recently announced that they will start production of the first batch of their new LCD screens shortly. These new screens promise low power, easy readability in direct sunlight as well support for full color and are expected to ship in quantity in Q1 2010. Regarding the screen's benefits:
The readability and legibility of our new screens rival the best epaper available today. What's new about our screens: fast video rate update (refresh), and fully saturated color at low pricing because we use standard manufacturing materials, processes and factories. Our screens use 1/2 to 1/4 the power of a regular LCD screen, and when integrated carefully with the device can increase battery life between charges by 5-fold. You can use our screens in laptops outside in bright sunlight.
Pixel Qi's has been closely followed in the industry as it was founded by One Laptop Per Child's (OLPC) former Chief Technology Officer Mary Lou Jepsen.

Techland.com had spent some time with a prototype screen back in May and were quite impressed. The screen offers two modes: a black and white "reflective" mode similar to e-ink and a more traditional emissive mode that offers full color. Unlike e-ink, however, the black and white mode is capable of full motion video.

Over the past year, Jepsen has revealed that the have been in contact with "all the big laptop companies" and have seen a lot of interest. While there is no known connection with Apple, it seems clear that Apple must be aware of this coming technology for their rumored tablet device. The readability and battery life savings would, of course, benefit any portable device, but especially one that has been rumored to publish magazine content and take on existing e-readers. Conveniently, the 3Qi screens are also multi-touch capable and can be "super-slim". The size of the screen has also been announced at 10.1 inches which matches with some of the predictions for the Apple tablet's screen size.

Pixel Qi has revealed their screens will be going into specialized tablet devices with multi-touch in 2010, but has not yet announced specific partners.

Article Link: 3Qi Screen Technology Shipping in Time for Apple Tablet?

crazor

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Their VP of Engineering is an ex-Apple

Dr. Carlin Vieri - VP of Engineering

Carlin Vieri joined Pixel Qi from Apple Computer where he engineered new generation display electronics for the iPhone and other devices. Previously he pioneered liquid crystal on silicon electronics backplanes, drive schemes and interfaces with the MicroDisplay Corporation, where he was Director of Electronics. He has a PhD in Electrical Engineering from MIT, and BS in Electrical Enginerring from UC Berkeley.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Sounds like a great product. However, I find it hard to take as much more than hopeful speculation considering that we have heard nothing whatsoever to date regarding this company or technology in connection with Apple. I would think it is too late in the game for this to be a part of the Apple Tablet that we will most likely see in the first quarter of 2010.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Sounds like a great product. However, I find it hard to take as much more than hopeful speculation considering that we have heard nothing whatsoever to date regarding this company or technology in connection with Apple. I would think it is too late in the game for this to be a part of the Apple Tablet that we will most likely see in the first quarter of 2010.

One sort of interesting thing that I didn't mention was that they designed the screens to be drop-in-replacements for existing LCDs.

She talks about it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8WoItVRn0

the only difference to the manufacturer apparently is that the laptop/tablet's firmware needs to be able to completely turn off the backlight.

arn

skate71290

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
UK
DONT Use This Screen

if apple use this ugly screen i aint buying one... i want to see an iphone/ipod touch glass screen!!! :eek: :mad: :apple:

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
why can't this be a glass screen too?

arn

I would really need to see the screen. So far what I've seen of screens that reflect regular sunlight without much use of a backlight they are week and dingy.

In all honesty I doubt Apple would use one of these screens in their tablet. Maybe once the technology can keep the beauty of a glass LCD LED screen.

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
One sort of interesting thing that I didn't mention was that they designed the screens to be drop-in-replacements for existing LCDs.

She talks about it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm8WoItVRn0

the only difference to the manufacturer apparently is that the laptop/tablet's firmware needs to be able to completely turn off the backlight.

arn

Are you suggesting that Apple would scrap their current LCD plans, production orders & contracts, etc for this product? I don't believe that...while it may be nice, I think it would be more realistic to expect this technology in a second generation of Tablets. Or possibly the new iPhone (presumably released around June), if the technology scales down nicely to that size. I would definitely like to see some new screen technology in the next generation iPhone (at least with a higher resolution LCD screen so it is on-par with that of the Droid).

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
If you are holding your breath on the iphone coming to verizon .... oh crap, a real thread about something else.

I'd love something easily readable and low power for books. The kindle is just not doing it for me. For textbooks, allow the text to be highlighted like a normal book, then add a button that shows only stuff that is highlighted. ... I would have loved something like that in college.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I would love to see this screen in a future tablet or even laptop offering from Apple. I'm so tired of having itchy eyes after hours of LCD screen use. When I'm typing in Microsoft Word, browsing forums or something else of that nature, I have no need for the 'full-colour' back-lit screen. Indeed, I've always thought Apple's move to the glossy glass screens was a move in the wrong direction. After all the effort to go anti-glare, they hopped onto the Sony Viao bandwagon and gave us a screen that is better as a mirror than a display.

Pixel Qi screens are certainly a move in the right direction. I hope other companies follow suit and perfect the technology, so that we can see it used in nearly all devices. As it stands, is it just me or are the colours a bit washed out in these demo machines? It might be because they're using them in direct sunlight. A small price to pay if you can use it in full light and still make out everything on the screen.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Are you suggesting that Apple would scrap their current LCD plans, production orders & contracts, etc for this product?

Are you suggesting Apple only found out about the product today? Of course not, this product has been been known for quite a while now.

arn

smileyborg

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2009
Are you suggesting Apple only found out about the product today? Of course not, this product has been been known for quite a while now.

arn

True. I've just seen too many rumors about other, "normal" LCD screens supposedly slated for the Tablet. After checking out that YouTube video, the viewing angle in color mode doesn't seem very impressive, and the screen in backlight mode seems to be on the dim side (180 nits isn't much). That wouldn't make for a great movie/media player, which is more of what I see the Tablet being than an eBook/print newspaper reader. Who knows, I may be proven wrong, but I see the "iPhone formula" being applied for the first-gen Tablet -- capacitive glass-covered LCD screen -- hopefully with additional brightness and higher pixel density.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
As it stands, is it just me or are the colours a bit washed out in these demo machines? It might be because they're using them in direct sunlight. A small price to pay if you can use it in full light and still make out everything on the screen.

You can't judge the full quality of the display from a low-quality YouTube video..

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Our first production batch of screens will be ready shortly. We will be ramping production scale over Q1 2010.

We can now announce that the first units are going into specialized tablet devices with multi-touch. Increasingly these screens will be super-slim, but some customers prefer the standard thickness.

Apples fits the bill doesn't it?

-10.1 multi-touch screen
-production ramp up in Q1 2010
-low-power
-Apple's push for digital magazines/newspapers

I don't know if it's ready for prime-time, but seems like a very promising technology. The only major dealbreaker i see is the price: "well under $200." Seems expensive for a tablet device. If Apple charges $800 for the tablet, the hardware cost would have to be well under $400. I don't see Apple spending 50% of the hardware cost for a single component. Of course, Apple could get a early-adopter, volume-buyer discount.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
You can't judge the full quality of the display from a low-quality YouTube video..

True, but in the demo of 'Slumdog Millionnaire' playing on the Pixel Qi screen, it was pretty washed out, even while being played in the dark with the backlight on. But ya, Youtube videos are not the best medium through which to judge the quality of something. Just search 'Dell advertisements', and you may get my drift. =)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Apples fits the bill doesn't it?

-10.1 multi-touch screen
-production ramp up in Q1 2010
-low-power
-Apple's push for digital magazines/newspapers

I don't know if it's ready for prime-time, but seems like a very promising technology. The only major dealbreaker i see is the price: "well under $200." Seems expensive for a tablet device. If Apple charges $800 for the tablet, the hardware cost would have to be well under $400. I don't see Apple spending 50% of the hardware cost for a single component. Of course, Apple could get a early-adopter, volume-buyer discount.

You forgot an important part of her quote :

"Pixel Qi will be at CES in Las Vegas in early January supporting our customers. We can’t yet announce with whom we will be showing but hope to shortly."

Betcha Steve Jobs is a last minute speaker at CES.

aucl

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2009
Moscow
oh, beautiful, i imagine that instead of idling the display or turning it black, it switches to BW so we can continue reading :rolleyes:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The only major dealbreaker i see is the price: "well under $200." Seems expensive for a tablet device. If Apple charges $800 for the tablet, the hardware cost would have to be well under $400. I don't see Apple spending 50% of the hardware cost for a single component. Of course, Apple could get a early-adopter, volume-buyer discount.

"Well under" doesn't mean it will be $200 like you said. It means it will be under it, possibly significantly. So around $140 maybe? Plus, if Apple was to put an order on a huge amount of these, they'd probably end up paying under $100 per screen.

wesleyh

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2007
Apple tablet really needs this. Would buy in a heartbeat if this type of screen is included!

paulmoscow

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2007
For textbooks, allow the text to be highlighted like a normal book, then add a button that shows only stuff that is highlighted. ... I would have loved something like that in college.
This thing is called Sony PRS-600 (aka Touch Reader.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.