PDA

View Full Version : Dual drives in a powerbook g4?

MattMK45
Dec 11, 2009, 12:30 PM
Now, before I start. I do not intend to do what i am about to say if it can be proved possible. I also don't want anyone saying, 'just get a new mac' for this is an experiment.

Ok, so I know it is possible to take the superdrive out, which to me seems a bit of a gamble (because you never know when you will need it) in place for a second hdd/ssd.

What i would like to know is if, with the extra space, get an ide to sata converter and then hook a more powerful sata ssd as your boot up drive and use the intended hard drive space for a second hard drive for more storage.

I would like to know if you think this could work, or even if you have tried it yourself.

Gabriel GR
Dec 11, 2009, 12:37 PM
If you don't feel like experimenting with custom brackets, adapters etc there is the optibay for this exact purpose.

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=OB-PBG4&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY&Product_Count=4

MattMK45
Dec 11, 2009, 01:04 PM
sweet! thanks! Geez i did not even think to wonder if they made these, does it automatically swith it to sata then?

rowsdower
Dec 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
From the site:

# OptiBay Bare Enclosure with IDE Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" IDE/PATA hard drive 9.5mm or less in height.
# OptiBay Bare Enclosure with SATA Hard Drive Interface requires a 2.5" SATA hard drive 9.5mm or less in height. Please note that this is not the same type of (IDE) hard drive required for this system's standard internal hard drive.

I assume this means that it does not do any conversion.

Gabriel GR
Dec 11, 2009, 03:13 PM
I think that the optibay connects to your mac with a PATA cable. Yet it gives you the option to chose between a PATA (IDE) or SATA drive. I think in the long run, spending more fore the SATA version is more cost effective because you can put bigger, cheaper and faster drives in it.