PDA

View Full Version : Apple files motion arguing why Psystar injunction should inc...

MacBytes
Dec 11, 2009, 02:13 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Apple files motion arguing why Psystar injunction should include Rebel EFI software (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091211151340)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Unique Visuals
Dec 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
I hope this is over soon. Too bad they can't put these criminals in jail. At the very least have all monies made by them garnished till they pay all fines in full.

I wonder if the IRS has made a note of them and put them on their radar.

Winni
Dec 11, 2009, 04:00 PM
Too bad they can't put these criminals in jail.

"We don't play nicely with others and don't share our toys"-Apple sucks. But their fanboys are even worse.

Unique Visuals
Dec 11, 2009, 04:09 PM
"We don't play nicely with others and don't share our toys"-Apple sucks. But their fanboys are even worse.

Im not a fanboy but I do believe those that steal should pay, whether is its a copyright or a material product.

Kristenn
Dec 12, 2009, 12:23 AM

Welcome to the business world.

In other words, duh? What company "plays" nice with others and shares toys unless there is profit to be made?

This company could have just asked Apple to license it to them but no! Instead, they hack it and break the EULA and God knows what else.

If someone said "Can a borrow your computer?" I would surely think about it. But if someone came into my house and took it, I'd be pissed off!

God people... get a clue!

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 12, 2009, 12:31 AM
I hope this is over soon. Too bad they can't put these criminals in jail. At the very least have all monies made by them garnished till they pay all fines in full.

:D
You want someone thrown in jail for breaking a EULA (not even stealing!)?!

This forum has some of the most avid, rabid, and interesting fanboys.

elvirav
Dec 12, 2009, 02:18 AM
These guys haven't done something that should put them in jail, but they are some form of parasite and I feel no sympathy for them. I hope Apple prevails in this.

It would be the same if you create anything (be it music, a book, whatever) and someone else takes it and tries to sell derivative copies of it, without asking you first if it's okay, and without giving you a share of the profits. Very sleazy.

shamino
Dec 14, 2009, 04:39 PM
I think Apple is wrong, on a moral/ethical level - after all Psystar is paying Apple the full retail price for every copy of OS X they ship. This is not anything like a normal case of piracy.

Nevertheless, the courts decided that the law is on Apple's side. So that's that. Given that decision, it's not surprising that the Rebel EFI should also be blocked, since products purpose-build for circumvent laws are almost always themselves illegal.

It would still be interesting, however, to see what the court would say, should Psystar switch to selling generic PCs that simply use EFI instead of BIOS (bundling Linux with them, to make it clear that they are not selling Mac clones.)

For example, depending on what kind of PC you have, you can purchase an EFI-X (http://art-studios.net/goods/87) dongle for it. This does not contain anything Apple- or Mac-specific but merely gives your system an EFI-based firmware, which can be used to boot any EFI-based operating system, including certain releases of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. With a system like this, the manufacturer isn't violating any Apple license terms, because they are not shipping Mac OS X or any software modifications to Mac OS X.

(Of course, if these should become popular, Apple could add code to refuse to run on non-Apple EFI PCs and depending on the technique used, the Psystar decision would make it illegal to try and work around that code.)

cjmillsnun
Dec 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
I think Apple is wrong, on a moral/ethical level - after all Psystar is paying Apple the full retail price for every copy of OS X they ship. This is not anything like a normal case of piracy.

Sorry, but where is the documented proof of this?

Also OS X retail is an upgrade for a previous version of Mac OS X whether it be the box set (for Tiger) or the $29 version (for Leopard). Every computer within the terms (Apple branded hardware) that is compatible with SL shipped with one of those OS'

shamino
Dec 15, 2009, 10:20 AM
Sorry, but where is the documented proof of this?
Ummm... The fact that they include an original shrink-wrapped box of OS X with every system shipped?

ccdan
Dec 15, 2009, 05:25 PM
Too bad they can't put these criminals in jail. .

Im not a fanboy but I do believe those that steal should pay, whether is its a copyright or a material product.

Dude, you should have your head checked! You're not an ordinary fanboy, you are an extreme-fanboy... Criminals? Why? Because they BUY software and do whatever they wish with THEIR PROPERTY?
Quite some time in jail should spend CEOs of software companies for inventing extremely abuseve clauses and concepts, and also corrupt judges like the one that took Apple's side on this matter!
Some people seem to be getting crazy... it's just unbelievable the attitude of some apple fans... after all, it's just commercial company seeking to make big profits by selling overpriced products, but some people behave as if it were their personal asset and were robbed... it is extremly stupid to have such an attitude...

Unique Visuals
Dec 15, 2009, 05:45 PM
Dude, you should have your head checked! You're not an ordinary fanboy, you are an extreme-fanboy... Criminals? Why? Because they BUY software and do whatever they wish with THEIR PROPERTY?
Quite some time in jail should spend CEOs of software companies for inventing extremely abuseve clauses and concepts, and also corrupt judges like the one that took Apple's side on this matter!
Some people seem to be getting crazy... it's just unbelievable the attitude of some apple fans... after all, it's just commercial company seeking to make big profits selling overpriced products, but some people behave as if it were their personal asset and were robbed... it is extremly stupid to have such an attitude...

HAHAHAHHAhahahahaha Oh that gave me a big laugh. Thanks
You don't get it and probably never will. Its obvious you have never created anything on your own or had something stolen from you. You seem like many that just seem to think your entitled to do as you wish.

I dislike many things Apple and other corporations do but as someone that creates and invents I hate people that take things they have no right to or profit off of others work. THAT is why I would like to see Pystar pay.

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
You don't get it and probably never will. Its obvious you have never created anything on your own or had something stolen from you. You seem like many that just seem to think your entitled to do as you wish.

I dislike many things Apple and other corporations do but as someone that creates and invents I hate people that take things they have no right to or profit off of others work. THAT is why I would like to see Pystar pay.

No.

Sure Apple can take these guys to civil court, but they haven't committed felonies or even misdemeanors. If you think they should spend any time in jail it's from pure fanboyism.

ccdan
Dec 15, 2009, 05:54 PM

HOW THE HECK could you say that if Pystar PAYS for each and every OSX distributed?
You're completely brainwashed! :D

Unique Visuals
Dec 15, 2009, 06:06 PM
No.

Sure Apple can take these guys to civil court, but they haven't committed felonies or even misdemeanors. If you think they should spend any time in jail it's from pure fanboyism.

Yes I know full well what the law is and how its applied. I also know that Apple will most likely never see a dime from them. If someone steals $10 from someones wallet and caught then they can spend a few years in jail but if its done on paper or a computer then its a minor offense and I think morally thats not right. Doesn't matter if the victim was rich or the average joe.

Im on Apples side only because they are protecting their rights and I value those that create products and other IPs
If you want to mislabel me as a fanboy then go for it.

I have had my copyright work and IP stolen and it SUCKS

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 15, 2009, 06:08 PM
Yes I know full well what the law is and how its applied. I also know that Apple will most likely never see a dime from them. If someone steals $10 from someones wallet and caught then they can spend a few years in jail but if its done on paper or a computer then its a minor offense and I think morally thats not right. Doesn't matter if the victim was rich or the average joe.

Im on Apples side only because they are protecting their rights and I value those that create products and other IPs
If you want to mislabel me as a fanboy then go for it.

I have had my copyright work and IP stolen and it SUCKS

So I guess you're missing the part where Psystar didn't steal any money from Apple. ;)

Unique Visuals
Dec 15, 2009, 06:08 PM
HOW THE HECK could you say that if Pystar PAYS for each and every OSX distributed?

You're brainwashed if you think you are buying the software on that CD/DVD

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
I'm not siding with Psystar, btw. I just think it's moronic to want to send them to jail. Why would anyone care that much, especially if you're not working at Apple?

Unique Visuals
Dec 15, 2009, 06:15 PM
So I guess you're missing the part where Psystar didn't steal any money from Apple. ;)

No you're missing the part were they proved their losses.

Im done replying to clueless people that can't/wont get it
Say what you want I have better things to do with my time.

TuffLuffJimmy
Dec 15, 2009, 06:19 PM
No you're missing the part were they proved their losses.

And how does that result in jail time? They proved their losses and Psystar has been ordered to pay Apple back. End of story they don't need any jail time.

BaldiMac
Dec 15, 2009, 06:39 PM

First, an expert examined 9 Psystar computer systems with OS X installed under the authority of the court. Five of the systems did not have the same version of OS X installed as what was on the included OS X DVD. Three of the systems did not include a OS X DVD at all.

Second, even if every system shipped with the same version of OS X as the included DVD and if Psystar paid for each of those DVDs, the installed copies that were distributed on the system were not paid for.

Unique Visuals
Dec 15, 2009, 08:19 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/12/15/apple_wins_permanent_injunction_against_clone_mac_maker_psystar.html

sabato
Dec 17, 2009, 04:43 PM
Thanks you shaing:For example, depending on what kind of PC you have, you can purchase an EFI-X dongle for it. This does not contain anything Apple- or Mac-specific but merely gives your system an EFI-based firmware, which can be used to boot any EFI-based operating system, including certain releases of Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. With a system like this, the manufacturer isn't violating any Apple license terms, because they are not shipping Mac OS X or any software modifications to Mac OS X.

ccdan
Dec 18, 2009, 12:32 AM
First, an expert examined 9 Psystar computer systems with OS X installed under the authority of the court. Five of the systems did not have the same version of OS X installed as what was on the included OS X DVD. Three of the systems did not include a OS X DVD at all.
Oh, really? But what did they install on systems? Tiger, Panther perhaps? :D

Second, even if every system shipped with the same version of OS X as the included DVD and if Psystar paid for each of those DVDs, the installed copies that were distributed on the system were not paid for.
LOL! are you trying to suggest that if you buy a computer with a pre-installed OS and an accompanying CD/DVD you actually (have to) buy the OS twice, just because the OS is both on the media and on the computer?
well, this is pure nonsense! :D

BaldiMac
Dec 18, 2009, 08:20 AM
Oh, really? But what did they install on systems? Tiger, Panther perhaps? :D

Really! They don't specify which alternate versions in the court documents.

See page 8 of the order for summary judgment.
http://www.groklaw.net/pdf2/Psystar-214.pdf

LOL! are you trying to suggest that if you buy a computer with a pre-installed OS and an accompanying CD/DVD you actually (have to) buy the OS twice, just because the OS is both on the media and on the computer?
well, this is pure nonsense! :D

No, I am suggesting that the preinstalled copy must be legally made. If it is not legally made, it has not been "paid for".

Normally, the right to make a copy of, distribute, and modify OS X is granted by Apple through a license agreement. Psystar had no such license to copy OS X because they refused to agree to its terms.

red42
Dec 21, 2009, 06:48 PM
I'm sure with all this publicity they've got, they've made so many more sales!

thermodynamic
Dec 23, 2009, 08:04 PM

Quite.

Psystar's claim that once a person buys ____ the owner can do what they want is cute, except they don't sell Windows machines where they bypassed the (deliberately flaky?) activation subsystem it contains...

There are dozens of reasons why Psystar's claims hold no water.

And they should be put in jail.

thermodynamic
Dec 23, 2009, 08:10 PM
:D
You want someone thrown in jail for breaking a EULA (not even stealing!)?!

This forum has some of the most avid, rabid, and interesting fanboys.

Did they ever sell kits to break Windows' activation scheme, under the identical excuse they make for circumventing Apple's EFI?

"Nope", you and everyone else says?

Why not? They'd do the world a bigger favor...

Microsoft forces people to constrain to its EULA, not to mention the activation scheme is so poorly programmed it breaks if you update a video driver or update the BIOS... even their games (FSX) lose their marbles, you have to reinstall, and you're told you activated it too many times. (ONCE IS TOO MANY?!! ON THE SAME MACHINE?!!)

Apple fanboys are only as rabid as the diseased Windows programmers make them.