PDA

View Full Version : Best place for ipod repair / ipod help / get an ipod fixed?

adam2003w
Aug 8, 2004, 03:19 PM
Here is a quick question:

Where is the best place for ipod repair / ipod help / get an ipod fixed?

I've got a generation 1 ipod that stop working in Febuary and I need to send it in to get it fixed. Thanks.

mrbrown
Aug 8, 2004, 03:47 PM
Here is a quick question:

Where is the best place for ipod repair / ipod help / get an ipod fixed?

I've got a generation 1 ipod that stop working in Febuary and I need to send it in to get it fixed. Thanks.

I really don't know of any place you could get it fixed. You can't get warranty service on it because its so old. I really think you should just either buy a new one or a used one thru eBay.

There are also sites that sell iPod batteries that you can install yourself if your battery has failed. http://www.ipodbattery.com/ is a good place to start if that's your problem.

adam2003w
Aug 9, 2004, 02:21 PM
I really don't know of any place you could get it fixed. You can't get warranty service on it because its so old. I really think you should just either buy a new one or a used one thru eBay.

There are also sites that sell iPod batteries that you can install yourself if your battery has failed. http://www.ipodbattery.com/ is a good place to start if that's your problem.

I can't get service on it because it is too old? That's crazy! I bought it two years ago.

I might need to check out ipodbattery.com . But I think it has a hard drive problem. Anyone else got any ideas?

noel4r
Aug 9, 2004, 02:45 PM
I've got a 3G iPod and it stopped working last week. i dropped it from about 3 feet and it looks like the hd got damaged (i thought they were more durable than that and it was in a rubber case) and if i read it correctly from Apple's website, they'll fix it for $249.00 if it's out of warranty. I got it 14 months ago. anybody got any suggestions other than buying a new ipod?

Stevp1
Aug 9, 2004, 02:48 PM
try www.ipodresq.com

never used it myself, I just happen to know about it.

trampaslake
Aug 9, 2004, 04:17 PM
I used ipodresq when I dropped my 1st generation 20 GB. They shipped the overnight box just like as advertised and had I the diagnosis the next day. I had the repaired Ipod within 4 days of dropping it. :)

adam2003w
Aug 9, 2004, 06:02 PM
I used ipodresq when I dropped my 1st generation 20 GB. They shipped the overnight box just like as advertised and had I the diagnosis the next day. I had the repaired Ipod within 4 days of dropping it. :)

trampaslake ... what was the total cost of the repair?

trampaslake
Aug 9, 2004, 09:58 PM
Seems like it was around $180. In my case, the hard drive was trashed. At that time, the 15 GB was $229 I think. I couldn't see spending $50 more and losing 5 GB. So, I went ahead and had it fixed.

Do you have any idea what's wrong with yours?

adam2003w
Aug 10, 2004, 09:51 AM
It's a hard drive problem.

$180. That seems kinda steep.

titaniumducky
Aug 10, 2004, 10:29 AM
It's a hard drive problem.

$180. That seems kinda steep.

You can pick up a refurb from Apple's website or something off eBay for about $200. That sounds like a better deal to me.

trampaslake
Aug 10, 2004, 10:31 AM
I thought the same thing. I just couldn't see paying more for a new one and losing GB's. Maybe I wasn't thinking of something at the time. Even now, the new 20 GB is $299. I would still fix mine I guess for $180. If I'm not seeing something, please tell me. It's always terrible to have to buy a new gadget to replace an older one. ;)

noel4r
Aug 10, 2004, 10:46 AM
well, i think it's ridiculous that Apple charges $249.00 to repair an ipod that's out of warranty. i think they kept it high so you'll buy a new one instead.

trampaslake
Aug 10, 2004, 12:21 PM
I've always thought Apple's policy was rediculous. They should at least offer the same service as ipodresq.

adam2003w
Aug 11, 2004, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I don't know. $180 for a fix, $250 for a refurb, $299 for new... we're in the same ballpark here ... Disappointing.

I got a lot of use out of my ipod (had it for a year and a half). I really enjoyed it, but felt I got screwed by Apple because they introduced an awesome $50 warranty only months after my 1 year of ownership was up. I'm an apple devotee. Been on apple for ten years. Work on an apple. In the past two years, I've bought a 15" flatscreen iMac, 20" flatscreen iMac w/extended warranty, and this ipod. Way to pay back faithful consumers and early adopters. I called customer service ... me: "Um, hello I bought an ipod a little over a year ago and now it doesn't work, can I get it repaired or something?" apple customer service: "Uh, yeah ... I would just buy a new iPod. I mean we could fix it for $250, but you should just buy a new one." Yeah, thanks Apple. Screw you very much.

Thanks for making a device that when it breaks, it costs about as much to get fixed as the device new. Thanks for not offering an extended warranty on your ipod from the start.

I don't mean to sound bitter. It's just that I love Apple's products. I spend 99% of my working life in front of an apple computer. I think the ipod is the best player on the market. iTunes is great. I've bought a good chunk of music off their store. They really just screwed the early adopters of the ipod and I'm in that crowd.

To spend $200+ getting a fix, refurb, or new iPod right now would be a luxury, not a necessity. Oh well, maybe there's an ebay auction in my future to find my wounded iPod a new home.

trampaslake
Aug 11, 2004, 12:57 PM
I feel the same way.

I know next to nothing about the mechanical side of computers. One thing I want to know, if a hard drive is "bad", can the hard drive itself ever be fixed? Or, does it have to be replaced everytime? If they always have to be replaced, then $180 is just the price of getting it fixed. But, if hard drives themselves can be fixed, then $180 is just a rip off.