Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syst.m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Can anyone recommend a 17-inch battery replacement for a Powerbook G4? I would like to spend less money (actually much less) on this rather than the $130 Apple battery. Any suggestions?

syst.m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Yeah, was kind worried about getting a used one, you really have no idea what your getting.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Yeah, was kind worried about getting a used one, you really have no idea what your getting.

If you request, and it is a good seller, they should provide the number of cycles, and percent life left, if they do not, move onto another seller

syst.m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
What is good as far as cycles & % of life left? Maybe tell me good, bad & decent.

syst.m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
I'm not very familiar with laptops, always had a desktop. Its for my girlfriends laptop.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
What is good as far as cycles & % of life left? Maybe tell me good, bad & decent.

Ideally you would want to shoot for the fewest cycles, and the highest percentage of life left.

To be honest, you would be better off biting the bullet, and buying a new battery, unless you plan to replace the computer soon, you can also check 3rd party battery manufacturers, they may have something

syst.m

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
That's more what I was wondering, has anyone tried and had a really good experience with a 3rd party battery manufacturer?

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
That's more what I was wondering, has anyone tried and had a really good experience with a 3rd party battery manufacturer?
yeah, my 12" PowerBook is sporting a battery from fastmac. the prices start at $99 and it's been 3 years and i'm still getting close to 3.5 hours (5 hours with everything off and dimmed). their batteries supposedly have more life than apple's stock. only cosmetic problem i have is that the color doesn't exactly match the aluminum casing. i also bought an off brand ac adapter there, cheap and great for leaving at the parents house.

the only problem is that the site feels a bit flakey. i placed an order for a MBP battery and after 4 days, it still reads as 'processing.' i've written their customer service and i'm still waiting for a reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.