Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
I am going to be modding my xbox soon and will be replacing the stock 10GB hard drive with something bigger. Since I will have an extra hard drive I am thinking about buying an external hard drive enclosure to put the 3.5" drive in so I can have a place to backup files. I need some recommendations on cheap enclosures cause its only 10 GB and I don't want to spend that much.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
just have a look around at the big PC warehouses/stores. i just got one for around AU$150, which should be about $70-80 USD? maybe cheaper?

just make sure you get one that can daisy-chain other FireWire devices like iPods, it's very convenient.

people used to say just to go for enclosures with Oxford 911 chipsets, but the one i've got doesn't have that, and it just sits at home al the time anyway, and i haven't noticed a big difference.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...keep an eye on Dealmac - there are almost always some decent deals on drive enclosures. I have also seen some "buy it now" stuff on ebay have been good deals too. Also check out Other World - they have some really nice cases that are very good quality, and they are a certy reputable company to deal with. One thing though - don't necessarily buy some cheap junk just because you're only putting an old 10GB drive in it...someday you may buy a better drive and put it in that case....oh yeah!

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
St. Louis
cb911 said:
just have a look around at the big PC warehouses/stores. i just got one for around AU$150, which should be about $70-80 USD? maybe cheaper?

just make sure you get one that can daisy-chain other FireWire devices like iPods, it's very convenient.

people used to say just to go for enclosures with Oxford 911 chipsets, but the one i've got doesn't have that, and it just sits at home al the time anyway, and i haven't noticed a big difference.
Since it's only 10GB I really don't want to spend any more than $35.

I was looking at them on ebay last night and that seems like the place where I can them for the cheapest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.