PDA

View Full Version : crunching noise on ibook trackpad button

operastarlet
Aug 8, 2004, 09:07 PM
Title says it all. Lately I have had a crunching noise on the left side my ibook trackpad button. Is there anyway to get under there and see what is going on? Is it possible to get it open? or would I have to sent it in to figure out this mystery?
Also have noticed that it goes down much further on the left side , than the right...

JeffTL
Aug 8, 2004, 10:08 PM
You been leaning?

At any rate, invest in a USB mouse if you don't have one already. It'll extend the life of your trackpad, and if it goes out, you can turn on mousekeys and use the mouse when possible :)

Koree
Aug 10, 2004, 10:56 AM
hope you have apple care or have the one year warranty still on it...

slughead
Aug 10, 2004, 11:09 AM
it's probably big mounds of skin chunks and oil or some other sand-like substance.

I doubt it's a problem with the plastic.

What I'd do is get some 99% alcohol, poor a little down there, and hope the stuff is soluble. I used to do it with ball mice all the time when they were on their last legs. Alcohol is non-conductive and evaporates quickly.

comictimes
Aug 10, 2004, 11:21 AM
If you've been eating near your ibook, then there's a very good chance it's just bread crumbs or something. I wouldn't really say it's worth sending in the book.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 10, 2004, 04:13 PM
Yeah, this can happen. Once I got a drop of water in my iBook's trackpad button and it crunches sometimes--probably something got dissolved in there and dried sticky. No big deal.

iShater
Aug 10, 2004, 06:55 PM
I have a 'crunch' sound on my May 2003 iBook. Makes it sound like a double click when used, and it is on the left side. Someone here posted a thread a while back with a similar issue. I keep my iBook away from food, etc. I had an apple tech look at it, and they said that the warranty doesn't cover the noise since the button still works.

It is supposed to be a module that is embedded in the hand rest area all around, so replacing it for the noise is out of the question, I doubt Apple care would cover that either.

kaltsasa
Aug 11, 2004, 01:34 PM
Acually my ibook had the same problem, had a sticky kind of click to it, i guess it was actually due to humidity. But the machine has applecare and i wasn't dealing with that, so they fixed it, and to fix it they have to replace that whole top housing on the bottome part of the ibook. But applecare took care of it for me. I didn't care that the button still worked, as far as I was concerned it was a defect in my product and I told them to fix it, I was firm and courtious and they did as they should have. I was pleased.