PDA

View Full Version : Spilled A BUNCH Of Water On My iBook G4

JacobHolmes
Dec 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
K so, I'm using my MacBook now, but as for my iBook G4, I spilled about half a liter of sparkling water on the keyboard area. It started to sink in quickly, so half a second after I did it, I quickly flipped it upside-down and shook it. Then when it was all clear of most water I grabbed some paper towel and got the rest. Then I flipped it back over and started using it again, thankfully it still worked. But abot 5 minutes later the "i" key didn't work, then others started to go out, and eventually about 75% of the keys on the keyboard didn't work. D: So at this point I was happy that the laptop still worked at least, so I took out the keyboard and dried it up with a hairdryer, then tried it a out on the laptop a few times and it still didn't work. So now I have a wired keyboard connecter, and I'm going to buy a replacement keyboard but how do I know if the laptop is okay? like is there still moisture in there or should it be gone by now? (I have been using it for about 64 hours.)

Thanks for listening, any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

r.j.s
Dec 13, 2009, 10:39 AM
It will probably corrode the internal components over time, there isn't much you can do.

velocityg4
Dec 13, 2009, 10:39 AM
First off when you spill water on your computer you should immediately disconnect all power connections (don't even wait for the computer to shutdown). Then you should open it up as much as you can to let it air dry. Then wait a minimum of two days before even turning it on to test if it is all right. Though you could wait less time if you completely disassemble the computer including motherboard removal as you can then survey every component for the presence of water.

Luckily none of the water got on your motherboard. But in all likelihood the keyboard is ruined from short circuiting. I would get a replacement keyboard on eBay as that is usually the cheapest place for OEM replacement parts. You can find the apple part number for your keyboard on ifixit.com or applepalace.com.

Mars478
Dec 13, 2009, 10:45 AM
The iBook G4 has metal shielding protecting the Mobo. But it can still get through. I recommend you remove the logic board and put it in a bowl of dry rice to remove all moisture.

JacobHolmes
Dec 13, 2009, 12:42 PM
D: ....

Well I've been using the machine now for a little bit and it seems to be alright, I'm trying to drag on the life of this old iBook (that's why I bought it) so I think I'm going to open the case a little bit to see if there is any moisture. Is it safe to use a hairdryer on the machine to get the water out...?

BlizzardBomb
Dec 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
Chances are you've shorted out specific circuits on the keyboard. I spilled water on my Apple Pro keyboard and after cracking the keyboard open I could see that by using it again too early, I'd ruined half the keys. Learnt the hard way I guess :o

l.a.rossmann
Dec 13, 2009, 04:03 PM
I would recommend putting the mobo through an ultrasonic cleaner with the proper chemicals, but man. that ibook is such a piece of **** when it comes to removing the mobo. Even the hard drive. For me, it's not worth the time or effort. If it's sentimental, then maybe it will be for you.

JacobHolmes
Dec 13, 2009, 04:28 PM
Hey guys, 1 year later and I thought I would just give an update, the iBook is still running fine, I chucked the original iBook G4 keyboard and put in an iBook G3 keyboard, it works just fine. I got the broken iBook G3 (logic board problems) for around $70 delivered, much less than a brand new G4 keyboard. :) Thanks for all the suggestions I received though! :)