PDA

View Full Version : archival strategies?

zimv20
Dec 13, 2009, 07:46 PM
my audio drive is just about full (it's drive #2 in my powermac). i do regular backups of it to an external drive.

i've identified some 25-30 gig of material that i'd like to archive to something other than an external drive -- i'll probably never need to access this material again, but would like to keep it just in case.

any suggestions on what to use? I was thinking of dvd+rw, which my machine can handle, though i've never done it. i'm open to other options, but cheaper is better.

i'm running Tiger, if that matters.

software-wise, i have Backup, Carbon Copy Cloner, and SuperDuper.

KeithPratt
Dec 14, 2009, 11:58 AM
Tape tends to be the standard for archival, but it's expensive and a hassle compared to DVD. Some are adamant discs erode over time, but there are DVDs promising 100 years' archival life.

So... I don't know. Maybe pay the premium for "archival discs" and burn to a fresh one every few years.

And if your files are under 4GB, you're best just make a burn folder in the Finder.

zimv20
Dec 15, 2009, 09:32 PM
right, I'm gonna give it a go with DVD-R and Backup.

i'm reading that DVD-R seems less error prone than DRD-RW and DVD+ anything.

Fishrrman
Dec 16, 2009, 09:30 AM
You can get gold-coated CDRs that have a 50-100 year storage life, at reasonable prices:
http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-96159-UltraLife-Archival-Spindle/dp/B000SDYXNO/ref=pd_cp_e_1?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000H3B6EO&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1NBHGMJJ0QSF69S7B6NF

I'm not sure if gold-coated DVD blanks are available (if they are, probably would cost a little more)

If the 25-30gig of data exists in chunks that are small enough to fit on CDR's, the gold CDR's might offer the best shot at reliable long-term storage.

Burn them at medium or lower speeds, store them in jewel cases away from light, and they'll probably outlast you!

- John

zimv20
Dec 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
thanks for the other suggestions. for anything which is important to me, i keep multiple copies. for the task at hand, i'm comfortable with only the one copy.