PDA

View Full Version : iPod Ripping

paxtonandrew
Aug 9, 2004, 01:51 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to rip the songs off an iPod, using 3rd party software etc. I have finally decided to use my PowerBook as a fulltime computer, and would like to add my song to my library, with minimal fuss. Or, is there a way to network my two computers together (both running Panther) and adding the songs using iTunes, lettng the computer do the work of adding them to the Hdd?

Thanks for youor help.

iostream.h
Aug 9, 2004, 02:19 AM
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way to rip the songs off an iPod, using 3rd party software etc. I have finally decided to use my PowerBook as a fulltime computer, and would like to add my song to my library, with minimal fuss. Or, is there a way to network my two computers together (both running Panther) and adding the songs using iTunes, lettng the computer do the work of adding them to the Hdd?

Thanks for youor help.

I use Ollie's iPod Extractor ( http://isophonic.net/applications ). It's free, easy to use, and gets the job done.

Horrortaxi
Aug 9, 2004, 02:26 AM
You could use Cocktail to unhide the files on the iPod and then drag and drop them onto the computer. You should try it at least once so that you'll know why it's much better to use 3rd party software like Xpod. Search versiontracker.com for "iPod rip" or something like that and you'll get several choices.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about connecting the computers and adding songs but I'll make an educated guess and say you can do it. Tell me just what you want to do and I'll tell you how.

paxtonandrew
Aug 9, 2004, 02:29 AM
Sorry Horrortaxi,

what i meant was, when you share songs in iTunes, is it possible to copy and paste for the songs, or drag and drop. I have since tried this, and i now know that this doesn't work.

Thanks

Abstract
Aug 9, 2004, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking about connecting the computers and adding songs but....

Neither can I. :confused:

Are you asking us about whether you can take shared songs from another computer on your computer network (eg: a school computer network) and place them on your own computer, or are you talking about the iPod?

paxtonandrew
Aug 9, 2004, 02:50 AM
Neither can I. :confused:

Are you asking us about whether you can take shared songs from another computer on your computer network (eg: a school computer network) and place them on your own computer, or are you talking about the iPod?

Sorry Everybody, let me start again

I have about 8,000 songs on my PowerMac at home. I recently Purchased a PowerBook, and would like to transfer the songs onto the PowerBook with a minimum of time and open windows. I like the idea of when you extract from a C.d, you select all, and drag to my library, is this possible, for example, if I have shared music on, can i select all, and drag them into my library? The iPod was an after thought. My thinking was 'hey, ii have all of my songs on my iPod, why don't I see if its possible to extract all of my songs off that. If its too hard, for the iPod, a simple way to extract computer to computer would be a great help.

Thanks.

belair
Aug 9, 2004, 04:19 AM
Connect your laptop to your tower via firewire. Restart the laptop holding down the key T (transfer) your laptop's HD will appear on your powermac's desktop.
Just open drag and drop your ituns library from one HD to the other and your done.

mj_1903
Aug 9, 2004, 05:36 AM
Or if you change your username at all (which destroys the iTunes database), simply grab iPodRip from the link below and do a recover songs. It will import the songs, ratings and play count as well as your playlists.

Feel free to use it without paying for it. It's shareware for a reason. :)