Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dehgenog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
In my opinion, the MOST underrated feature of OS X is Expose. However, it is without a doubt one of the hardest features to explain to someone without a Mac in front of you. Not to mention its name, which cannot be properly typed without the accented 'e'.

Anyone else ever felt this frustration?

FriarCrazy

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
Ames, IA/Eden Prairie, MN
Agreed. I miss exposè (am I using the right accent there?) sooooo much when I go back to my PC. Its ESSENTIAL for me to drag and drop between windows on my PB, as the screen only goes to 1024x768.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Exposé is nice. (é=alt+e+e). But ease of drag and drop is lost amongst most Windows users due to the inconsistencies there.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
LMAO. i couldn't stop cracking up for 5 minutes afteri heard your warning sound. LOL!! that's a good one. baahahah:D

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
It is very useful. I also have a 12" pb and using expose is integral to working effectively with a billion applications and windows open. Sometimes I find myself accidentally using it when I'm on a PC at work. It's traumatic to hit F9 and not have the computer do something cool - oh well, I still have my beautiful pb. :)

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
dehgenog said:
However, it is without a doubt one of the hardest features to explain to someone without a Mac in front of you.
A lot of Windows apps seem to have been designed to work best in full-screen mode, and that's exactly the way a lot of Windows users are accustomed to working, especially in corporations which are still too cheap for more than 15" CRT monitors. You don't so much have windows strewn around the desktop, as you have one window in your face at a time and all the others right there in the taskbar, so you don't think of it in the whole windows-on-the-desktop paradigm. Also, some people retain the habit from the BSOD days to have a limited number of apps open at once. Under those circumstances, Expose doesn't really get you much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.