PDA

View Full Version : iDVD will not burn - multiplexing issue

mdr8c
Dec 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
I have iLife 09 and am converting VHS tapes to double layer DVD's using the following process:
1. Converted the Video_TS files to mp4 using Handbrake
2. Imported mp4 into iMovie and trimmed clips and added chapter markers
3. Selected "Share to iDVD"
4. In iDVD, applied a theme, added audio to the menus...
5. Updated the Project Info for Dual Layer DVD's
6. Selected "Burn"

However, the burn process ended with an error stating a "multiplexing error" and no burned DVD. I looked at the help menu and saw that a multiplexing error could be due to movie media that is not present/not accessible. And I did notice in iDVD that if I look at the Media page and Movies tab, my movie name is listed, but with a note next to it saying that it hasn't been put in the media browser, and I can't select it. Is it necessary to put the movie in the media browser even though I already shared it to iDVD when I was in iMovie? My preview seems to run with no errors, so I'm confused as to what's going on here.
I also read where some people suggested creating a disk image and using Burn instead of iDVD. Should that fix the problem?
Thanks!

mstrze
Dec 15, 2009, 08:21 AM
How are you getting Video_TS files from VHS tapes?

Why not just import VHS into iMovie through an adaptor box or secondarily by recording on a digital camcorder and importing thorugh FW?

Eliminates the Handbrake step and maybe more of your hidden problems too.

It just sounds like a convoluted way to archive VHS.

I record my VHS onto MiniDV, then import.

mdr8c
Dec 15, 2009, 08:27 AM
I was going the budget-friendly route and borrowed a friend's DVD player that had RCA input lines. And I've already completed the Handbrake step, which was a pretty easy way to get my mp4's.

mstrze
Dec 15, 2009, 08:36 AM
I haven't had any issues buring iMovie projects from iDVD honestly. Never had to move files or place them in certain folders.

Could the problem actually be that iDVD can't handle a project made from mp4s? I know that iDVD converts before a burn, but I'm just grasping for answers here.

The usual process I have for making an iMovie and burning it is through import from a camera and this takes care of all the necessary conversion and whatnot I suppose.

How about this? Just export/share the video from iMovie as a file and open up iDVD and place your various movie files within a fresh project. This would bypass any issues there might be with iMovie and iDVD not talking to each other as it eliminates iMovie from the process....you will just be building a DVD from various movie files on your hard drive...something I have done successfully in the past.

This should work, assuming iMovie can successfully create a movie file for you. :)

mdr8c
Dec 15, 2009, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a plan. I'll give it a try tonight - thanks for your help!

xStep
Dec 15, 2009, 01:20 PM
That note is odd and unexpected, especially since you say it all works in preview mode.

What ever method you use to get the files to iDVD, do create a disc image. That way you can test the result before burning a disc. You also remove confusion about why a disc might not be burning by removing iDVD from that equation.

You can use Disk Utility or Toast to burn the image to a DVD.

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 08:27 AM
mdr8c: Any luck?

mdr8c
Dec 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
No luck yet - still trying some things.
I did get the movie file to show up in the right column of iDVD instead of the error now - had to share in the media browser in iMovie and then bring it in to my iDVD project. I still don't understand why the iMovie command Share > iDVD didn't work like that.
Tried burning the image to the harddrive, but it did not preview. Still getting a multiplexing error.
However, just tried starting from scratch in iDVD and burning the image, and it worked! But the dvd still won't write?!!!?! Still working on it...

xStep
Dec 16, 2009, 12:21 PM
I still don't understand why the iMovie command Share > iDVD didn't work like that.

I think it is iMovie 09 & iDVD 09 where there was a share problem that an upgrade seemed to fix. So make sure you have the latest versions of each.

Try burning some random large file to a DVD. Perhaps you have a DVD burner issue.

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 12:26 PM
Did you try exporting the iMovie file to the harddrive and then make a new iDVD project and add that file?

Sounds like you were still just attempting the sharing route that was causing problems before?:confused:

mdr8c
Dec 17, 2009, 07:43 AM
Making some progress, but still need help...
The good news: I selected a different video from the original one I was trying to copy - this one is 1 hour long vs. the 2 hour long movie I had originally tried. I started a brand new iDVD project, brought the movie in through the Media Browser, applied a theme, and burned the image. Everything worked great, and I was able to burn it to the (double layer) dvd with no problems!
The bad news: Next, I started another brand new iDVD project, brought the original (2-hour) movie into iDVD through the Media Browser. I applied a theme, and this time I also added music to the menus and chapter titles, and then I attempted to burn the image. However, this time I got the dreaded "multiplexer error." The file I'm trying to burn is 6 GB, I'm using "Best Performance" and the double-layer dvd option, and I have 16 GB available on my harddrive.
So, could the problem be the length of the movie? Or possibly something is going wrong when I add the music and chapters? Or do I need even more harddrive space? Just some thoughts... could be something totally different. Any advice?

xStep
Dec 17, 2009, 11:30 AM
Check out this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=750330) and this Apple Discussion thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10752508&tstart=0).

mdr8c
Dec 21, 2009, 09:09 AM
Finally got it to work - had to change Project Info setting from "Best Performance" to "Professional Quality." High Quality may also work, but I haven't tried that - was happy to just find something that worked. Not sure why that's the answer - I had plenty of HD space and the size I was burning to was appropriate for the DVD I was using (whether it was single or double layer).
But then my superdrive decided to give up. Arghh! After MAJOR surgery, we got it working for the time being, but not so sure it will last much longer. Very frustrating since it's only 2 years old and hasn't been used that often!!! I guess an external drive purchase is in my future...
Anyway, thanks for all of your tips. I am very happy to finally have a final product!!