PDA

View Full Version : Buying an iMac G4

carlosbutler
Dec 15, 2009, 02:01 PM
I think G4's look so amazing. I'm going to buy one, although was wondering if anyone knew any of the common faults it may have had ie optical drive error, USB error etc that I can look out for when buying one.

carlosbutler
Dec 15, 2009, 03:09 PM
anyone?

skunk
Dec 15, 2009, 03:13 PM
I am not aware of any common faults with this machine. I had an original 15" model for four years with no problems whatever.

BlackiBook
Dec 15, 2009, 03:27 PM
I have the 17in model and I haven't had any problems with it what so every!

MacHamster68
Dec 15, 2009, 03:47 PM
as far as i know there are no specific faults on the iMac g4`s
ok there are maybe problems which every computer gets after a certain time
like for example a dying harddrive , but thats perfectly normal and nothing to worry about:)

CubeHacker
Dec 15, 2009, 04:46 PM
The only one I can think of off the top of my head was that the "arm" that holds the LCD display up would sometimes get loose over time and not stay in the spot you would move it to. It was an easy fix though - just tighten some screws I believe. Other than that, the iMac G4 was a pretty trouble free machine.

Oh yeah and if you buy one used, make sure to take a vacuum and suck out all the dust that will probably be clogged in the vents under the base.

carlosbutler
Dec 15, 2009, 05:02 PM
Okay good news to hear there are no issues :)

The only one I can think of off the top of my head was that the "arm" that holds the LCD display up would sometimes get loose over time and not stay in the spot you would move it to. It was an easy fix though - just tighten some screws I believe. Other than that, the iMac G4 was a pretty trouble free machine.

Oh yeah and if you buy one used, make sure to take a vacuum and suck out all the dust that will probably be clogged in the vents under the base.

Literally just stick a dyson to the vents? Is there nothing that can be ripped out? I have opened up and messed around with many PC's but no idea about iMacs and what they look like inside.

evilgreg
Dec 2, 2010, 08:02 AM
Okay good news to hear there are no issues :)

Literally just stick a dyson to the vents? Is there nothing that can be ripped out? I have opened up and messed around with many PC's but no idea about iMacs and what they look like inside.

I'm wondering about this too. I've noticed that the fan on mine looks like it's covered in dust and I am planning on vacuuming it tonight, but I want to make sure I put the vacuum in the right place...

fhall1
Dec 2, 2010, 10:57 AM
Do a google search for iMac G4 teardown photos and you'll see what it looks like inside...there's some photos in this forum showing the bottom removed and you can see where the dust settles....to truly clean out 7+ years of dust you really should take it apart and blow it out...but you need thermal paste for the heat transfer plates when you reassemble it.

Paulywauly
Dec 3, 2010, 07:37 AM
if you cant find use for it a USB2 model makes a good purchase, they are dead reliable and you can see it reflected in their high resell value even now. I'd much prefer a G4 to a G5 for that reason alone