Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledyl

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
USA
hahah! I didn't know that those scientists used 98% macs!!! :D :D way to go antarctica scientists!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If you had bothered to go to the source, then you would know that has in an all together inappropriate word. The data were compiled by StatCounter.com. MacOS X had 98% of the Antarctican market in June 2009. The most recent numbers are closer to 1%. Overall, these numbers are close to irrelevant. Based on the volatility displayed in the graph, my guess is that the number of computers sold in Antarctica each month is less than 100 and maybe less than 10 during some months. With numbers this small, the purchase of a single computer can dramatically affect market share numbers.

Caveat: This is a total guess. The graph is accompanied by a .csv file contain the "raw data." However, there is nothing raw about the "raw data." They are the numerical percentages used to generate the graph.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
If you had bothered to go to the source, then you would know that has in an all together inappropriate word. The data were compiled by StatCounter.com. MacOS X had 98% of the Antarctican market in June 2009. The most recent numbers are closer to 1%. Overall, these numbers are close to irrelevant. Based on the volatility displayed in the graph, my guess is that the number of computers sold in Antarctica each month is less than 100 and maybe less than 10 during some months. With numbers this small, the purchase of a single computer can dramatically affect market share numbers.

Caveat: This is a total guess. The graph is accompanied by a .csv file contain the "raw data." However, there is nothing raw about the "raw data." They are the numerical percentages used to generate the graph.

Have you seen the sun lately?

Lighten up! Just enjoy the thread for what it is :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
No, he has a point. A 97% drop in market share in just a few months is a little worrying.

I wonder what Apple should do to reverse this trend before it gets worse. Perhaps a new advert? "Hi, I'm a Mac. And I'm a P-P-P-P-Penguin."?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Wow. Just wow.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Have you seen the sun lately?

Lighten up! Just enjoy the thread for what it is :D
If I pretend that it is still June, then I could enjoy this thread. I don't know about you, but I don't still laugh at Gerald Ford jokes.

kmaute

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
USA

If you seriously think they "sell" Macs in Antarctica... Well, I don't know what I'm going to do but it's going to be pretty bad.

phaedarus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
If I pretend that it is still June, then I could enjoy this thread. I don't know about you, but I don't still laugh at Gerald Ford jokes.

Well, given the fact that Ford's tenure as the US President predated my birth, I can't say I was there personally to observe his particular brand of humour.

Nonetheless, I'm sorry that life has jaded you to the extent of being unable to enjoy a lighthearted thread without the propensity to over analyze its contents.

I was under the impression that Macrumours could use a little lightheartedness thus, the reason for my base post. My apologies that it wasn't palatable to you.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

Do they have Apple Stores in Antarctica or do you have to buy your Macs from the morons at a Best Buy down there?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Nonetheless, I'm sorry that life has jaded you to the extent of being unable to enjoy a lighthearted thread without the propensity to over analyze its contents.

My young friend, this was probably funny back in June 2009 when Apple had 98% of sales in Antarctica. In December when Apple's marketshare is 1% on the continent, it is not. With the exception of you, not many members of this forum will admit to laughing at jokes that are six months out of date.

nastebu

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
My young friend, this was probably funny back in June 2009 when Apple had 98% of sales in Antarctica. In December when Apple's marketshare is 1% on the continent, it is not. With the exception of you, not many members of this forum will admit to laughing at jokes that are six months out of date.

I can no longer tell who's joking and who is serious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.