Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
I'm sorry if the thread title is misleading, but what I WANT to do is to share files between a Powerbook and an iBook wirelessly.

Both 'Books have 'Personal File Sharing' enabled, and when I press Cmd-K on my PB, then browse, there are three shortcuts, 'Networks', 'Sam' (me), 'The Jorden's Computer' (the iBook). PERFECT.

On the iBook, using the same procedure, the the Networks available are 'Servers', then three folders, 'HOME', 'WORKGROUP', 'Local'. I cannot find 'Sam's Computer'! What am I doing wrong (I am not quick to criticize OS X)??

P.S. It did work on the iBook once, like 10 minutes ago, but now it will not... hmmm. Both are running 10.3.5.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Give the iBook a restart, or just restart its Personal File Sharing and see if it doesn't come back after a few minutes.

Lee Tom

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
Yeah, I've noticed after waking it from sleep it will work, but when I eject the 'Sam's Computer' network, it goes back to its problematic environment. Oh well... I (naiively) figrued the wireless networking speeds (file transfer speeds) would be about 54Mb/s. Where did I get that figure?? Lol, i was getting about .5Mb/s, making it hardly worthwhile to wirelessly share Da Ali G Show with my family.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.