Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstagg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Greetings -

Long time lurker, first time poster. Great forums.

I have an AppleTV at home that worked fine for the past couple of years, wirelessly, from a cheap Netgear 4-port router.

I changed my home network topology a little - my router is now a Netgear FVS318, and the wireless router is hooked up to it acting as a wireless switch for the upstairs (DHCP off). Everything wired and wireless (multiple macs and 360 on wired, Wii, iphone and macbook on wireless) works fine *except* for the AppleTV's sync'ing. The AppleTV is hooked up to ethernet on the FVS318.

I have a static IP for the AppleTV, the Macbook with my itunes library, and my iphone that runs Remote. Everything is on the same subnet. With the old wireless router, sync'ing and Remote worked flawlessly.

With this new setup, AppleTV will disappear from iTunes, or never show up at all. Same with Remote - sometimes it will connect with my AppleTV's library, but usually it won't. Very inconsistent. I have tried different combinations of wireless and wired (hooking the macbook up to the router with ethernet, going wireless with the AppleTV, etc.), but the behavior is always the same. For a short period, iTunes 'saw' the AppleTV, and I was able to sync all my media over by selecting Sync many times (it would tend stall in the middle of the xfer).

I can ping the AppleTV from any device, wired or wireless.

I've tried rebooting everything, including router and switch, and this will *sometimes* temporarily cause the AppleTV to be recognized, but it quickly reverts back to missing in iTunes and Remote.

The FVS318 has all the right ports open so far as I know - specifically 3689 and 5353. I can access the internet fine from AppleTV - shop iTunes, YouTube, etc. But the devices won't talk to one another. I've read extensively about the wireless connectivity problems, but as I've said my setup seems consistently inconsistent whether hooked up wired or wireless.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for reading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.