PDA

View Full Version : Basic questions

Gadolie
Aug 9, 2004, 08:59 PM
Hello, I have converted to the Mac after years of PC frustration. So far so good. I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you can help with. Is it possible to change the default music in iphoto slide show?
Also, in imovie, all my clips do not appear in my clips selection. Shouldn't all the clips show up? And lastly, is it possible to have music clips in the timeline in imovie fade instead of just abruptly ending?
Thank you

jsw
Aug 9, 2004, 09:07 PM
For iPhoto, go to the Music tab in the panel that comes up when starting a slide show, and select a different tune - you can choose from all your iTunes songs as well as a few default songs (use the 'Source' pull-down menu).

jsw
Aug 9, 2004, 09:09 PM
In iMovie, clips which are in your movie timeline already don't show up in the 'Clips' section - they're in Clips or in the Timeline, not in both (helps you to know which clips are left to be used) - is this what you mean?

yellow
Aug 9, 2004, 09:12 PM
Hello, I have converted to the Mac after years of PC frustration. So far so good. I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of you can help with. Is it possible to change the default music in iphoto slide show?
Also, in imovie, all my clips do not appear in my clips selection. Shouldn't all the clips show up? And lastly, is it possible to have music clips in the timeline in imovie fade instead of just abruptly ending?
Thank you

To answer your questions:

1) Yes
2) No
3) Yes

1) iPhoto -> Select a picture (any one, doesn't matter) -> Slide Show icon (at bottom) -> Music tab in window that opens. The rest should be self explainatory.

2) The only clips that will show up are the ones for that particular iMovie project that you're working on. Only the clips that you've imported via DVcam or from another source into the current iMovie project.

3) iMovie -> Open your project -> click the TimelineViewer (the little clock icon on the bottom left) -> Check the Edit Volume box -> The volume of the music appears as a line in the center of the music you've added to your clips -> Click on the music to create "time spots" where you want the music to begin fading, and where you want it to stop fading -> drag up/down to make a "ramp" causing the music to grow louder/softer.

Horrortaxi
Aug 9, 2004, 09:16 PM
You can use any music you like (or none at all) in iPhoto. In the window to control slideshows there is a music tab. It's pretty self-explanaory

In iMovie everything you import will be in the clips pane. If it's not there you either didn't import it or you can't find it. What was it you imported?

Miusic clips can fade if you want them to. Go into timeline view (the icon os a clock) and select your clip. Check the box that says 'edit volume'. Then click on the spot where you want ti to start fading. Click on the end of the clip and drag it down. You now have a nice even fade.

jsw
Aug 9, 2004, 09:24 PM
Here's a blow-up of one of the audio files in the timeline (click on attachment for larger view). Note the tiny little purple square above and to the left of the yellow circle - drag that to alter the shape of the ramp.

It's not easy to do, and iMovie could certainly improve its GUI here, but you can do it.

Gadolie
Aug 10, 2004, 07:59 PM
Changing the music in slideshow couldn't have been more easier! I knew it would be easy, guess the beauty and simplicity of a mac has me a little shaken still. What I was trying to explain (very badly I might say) is that after I imported some DV footage into imovie, I noticed that there was a starting clip shown in the viewer, none in the middle and a couple towards the end. Is this normal? I clicked on some of the blank ones and there is a clip there. Just didn't preview anything.
I'm going to experiment with my sound clips to see if I can do what was suggested here, in order to fade out.
I probably will have other "newbie" questions as I work more with my mac.
Question, is there a forum out there that caters to new mac owners with simple mudane questions? I think that you experienced folk will find my questions boring and redundant. But thanks!

jsw
Aug 10, 2004, 08:06 PM
I probably will have other "newbie" questions as I work more with my mac.
Question, is there a forum out there that caters to new mac owners with simple mudane questions? I think that you experienced folk will find my questions boring and redundant. But thanks!
This forum is a great place to ask - there are a lot of very new people, and almost none of us are experts in every area. I myself learn more than I'd expect here, every day.

Don't hesitate to use the "Search" feature - the one next to "New posts" above - as it might help. If you can't find what you need, please post!