Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maserati7200

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Something has been on my mind for a while, why do Apple, Firefox, and others want so many people to adopt their bowsers and have such high market share? The browsers are free, so it's not like they make any income, and they probably spent a lot on R&D. What real benefit to Apple, Mozilla, and Microsoft have by making and promoting Safari, Firefox and Camino, and Internet Explorer, respectively? I could kind of understand why Google wants you to use Chrome, it integrates well with their online services and ad oriented. Is there something I'm missing here? :confused:

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Like any other application, if you have the power of marketshare, you have influence over web applications, programming standards and the ability to implement your "view/vision" of future developments.

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
so it's not like they make any income:

That's where you're wrong. Mozilla, specifically, makes money from Google search royalties. I'm not sure about Safari and Internet Explorer, but I'm sure there's a financial motivation behind Chrome. You mentioned Google's ongoing online service industry. I'm sure that's the gist of it. I wonder if Apple receives royalties because Safari, like Mozilla's Firefox, both have the Google toolbar by default.

Internet Explorer has you use MSN or Bing. Keepin' it in the family I guess. It may be direct or indirect but there are financial motivations for users to use their web browser.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
That's where you're wrong. Mozilla, specifically, makes money from Google search royalties. ...
This is exactly right. However, it is a concept that so many of the fans can't get their brains around. The Mozilla Foundation is funded by royalties from Internet hits. The explicit reason for Safari for Windows was that Apple was leaving money on the table by not having Safari on Windows. Rest assured that every other browser developer is compensated in a similar manner.

For those familiar with the American vernacular: "It's all about the Benjamins.*"

*Benjamin: American urban slang for $100.00 US bill. This denomination of currency features a picture of Benjamin Franklin, one of the US Founding Fathers.

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
For Apple it's two reasons ;

1) They can't trust Microsoft - and realise it would be foolish to entirely put all it's faith in Firefox. Microsoft mercilessly destroyed Netscape and left Apple in the late 90's with only Internet Explorer - which they then later without notice simply stopped developing.

2) Since the browser is the foundation application for using the internet it makes sense Apple control the experience and ensure it's the fastest and most efficient internet experience you can have.

Apple absolutely don't want their browser to dominate on the Windows platform - but it absolutely must on OSX.

I don't wonder if it exists on Windows merely for the sake of homesick mac users ;-)

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

1) They can't trust Microsoft - and realise it would be foolish to entirely put all it's faith in Firefox. Microsoft mercilessly destroyed Netscape and left Apple in the late 90's with only Internet Explorer - which they then later without notice simply stopped developing.

Apple absolutely don't want their browser to dominate on the Windows platform ....
What Apple does not have in Firefox is a financial interest. It has nothing to do with faith. Firefox royalties go to the Mozilla Foundation. Safari royalties go to Apple.

I have no idea where you got the notion that Apple doesn't want Safari to dominate the Windows platform. Certainly, it is an unrealistic expectation. However, Apple would be quite pleased if it happened.

akutad

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
London, Ontario, Canada
For Apple it's two reasons ;

2) Since the browser is the foundation application for using the internet it makes sense Apple control the experience and ensure it's the fastest and most efficient internet experience you can have.

Apple absolutely don't want their browser to dominate on the Windows platform - but it absolutely must on OSX.

I don't wonder if it exists on Windows merely for the sake of homesick mac users ;-)

+1 I know I use safari in windows merely for the sake of me being homesick away from a mac while at work. :mad Anyone else in the same boat!?!?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
+1 I know I use safari in windows merely for the sake of me being homesick away from a mac while at work. :mad Anyone else in the same boat!?!?
Safari for Windows has earned a reputation among Windows-using professionals as the antidote to the vulnerabilities of Internet Explorer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.