View Full Version : Traveling - Power Question re: Appliances

Aug 9, 2004, 10:04 PM
I'll be traveling from Canada to Eastern Europe (along with Germany and England) in September, and wanted to confirm that I will not need any type of transformer/down-converter for my digital camera and electric shaver.

My understanding is that as opposed to 110/120 VAC @ 60 Hz here in N. America, Europe uses 220/240 VAC @ 50 Hz. Both my digital camera (Canon S410) and my electric shaver's power ratings include both, so it appears as though they are both switching supplies (as opposed to just basic power supplies), but I just wanted to confirm, as frying my gear on vacation is not ideal. ;)

I think all I should need are the actual plug adaptors to properly fit into the European outlets, and I do not require a transformer/down-stepper - but someone can please correct me if I am wrong. Also, if there's anything else I should know related to this, please educate me - I have heard that the actual outlets, in England particularly, come in a few flavors. :)

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Aug 10, 2004, 03:20 AM
Switching power supplies (as described) are fine with plug convertors. There are 2 basic types in Europe. There is the British (yes Britain is not just England, amazing!) type, which is a 3 pin earthed plug. The rest of Europe (not sure about Eastern Europe) use 2 pin plugs with optional earthing.

Aug 10, 2004, 04:46 AM
There is only one type of outlet that should be used in the UK which is the standard 3 pin socket, sometimes (mainly in hotels) you get the european round two pin sockets that are 110/240v outlets but these shouldn't be used for anything other than shaver outlets.

If your device states that it is a switching power supply e.g. 110-120/230-250v then it will work with the standard plug adaptors you get in the airports.

I recently went to chicago in feburary and all my gadgets i brought along like my phone charger / camera charger / laptop etc.. etc.. all worked fine in thos weird spade type outlets they had in the hotels. they kept dropping out because of the weight of the transformer on the plug but it worked.

Aug 10, 2004, 07:50 AM
Excellent, thanks for the feedback guys! Sounds like I have nothing to worry about. :cool:

Aug 10, 2004, 08:39 AM
i've been to slovakia, czech rep. and hungary - they all used the two round pin plug. not sure if you are going further east, but thought to offer the info.