Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I found this in 10.3.5. Which I posted in another thread.

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Content/Info.plist

<key>IOPlatformPluginTable</key>
<dict>
<key>PowerBook7,1</key>
<string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerBook7,2</key>
<key>PowerMac7,2</key>
<string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerMac7,3</key>
<string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
<key>PowerMac8,1</key>
<key>PowerMac9,1</key>
<key>RackMac3,1</key>
<string>RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin</string>

Powermac 7,3 and Powermac 9,1

Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2

Macrack 3,1

If these are already existing computers please let me now. I did a search through mactracker and found no numbers relating to these.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sun Baked said:
http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=tam&page=products&subpage=newworld

PowerMac7,2 Power Macintosh G5
PowerMac7,3 Power Macintosh G5 (June 2004)

PowerMac8,1 iMac Generation 3 G5 (September 2004)

PowerMac9,1 New PowerMac

PowerMac7,x New PowerBook and/or iBooks

RackMac3,1 Xserve G5 & Xserve G5 (Cluster Node)

Thanks for the link. So there is 3 unknown computers coming. Those 2 powerbooks(7,1 and 7,2) and that lonely Powermac 9,1.

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
hmm.. that's awesome that there are new computers coming out, and cool that you found it.... but I have to ask. How and why on earth did you find some obscure file like that??

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well they're always going to make new computers. Maybe they're preparing 10.3.5 to account for these new machines in case they come out before Tiger.

Okay, I'll admit it. I really have no clue... :(

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
quagmire said:
I found this in 10.3.5. Which I posted in another thread.

Powermac 7,3 and Powermac 9,1

Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2

Macrack 3,1

If these are already existing computers please let me now. I did a search through mactracker and found no numbers relating to these.
Good find.

The big news is that the next update of the PowerBooks will come with a new chipset!!! G5 here we come! Or a new G4, perhaps the Freescale e600. Exciting. The iBooks and PowerBooks are due for an update in Oct/Nov. From the look of the numbers, the 15" and 17" PBs will get new chipsets (5x --> 15"/17" PBs; 6x --> 12"PB/iBook) but not the 12". Makes sense.

What is this mysterious 9,1? And when is it coming out?

Zaty

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2004
Switzerland
Abstract said:
Well they're always going to make new computers. Maybe they're preparing 10.3.5 to account for these new machines in case they come out before Tiger.

Okay, I'll admit it. I really have no clue... :(

Possible, but I'm sure we'll see at least one more update to Panther (10.3.6) before Tiger arrives. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw 10.3.7 as well. Don't forget, Tiger could still be 10 months away, so we'll see quite a few new Macs before Tiger.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
dongmin said:
Good find.

The big news is that the next update of the PowerBooks will come with a new chipset!!! G5 here we come! Or a new G4, perhaps the Freescale e600. Exciting. The iBooks and PowerBooks are due for an update in Oct/Nov. From the look of the numbers, the 15" and 17" PBs will get new chipsets (5x --> 15"/17" PBs; 6x --> 12"PB/iBook) but not the 12". Makes sense.

What is this mysterious 9,1? And when is it coming out?

Could you please explain how you know (or expect) the new Powerbooks to have different chips? This just might be good news for me. I cancelled my Powerbook order yesterday (shipping delays) and decided to wait for the next revision.

Squire

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
maybe PCI-X 2.0 & PCI-Express on G5

(but I think it silly they didn't add them to the RevB's... but apple does some silly stuff... like waiting for the RevB 12"Pb to add DVI & USB2.0... but it boosts sales I guess??)

when will they add solid state harddrives to their PowerBooks... no moving parts, faster... silent...

they would be the first to do that... and I think its cool...

J

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Jo-Kun said:
maybe PCI-X 2.0 & PCI-Express on G5

(but I think it silly they didn't add them to the RevB's... but apple does some silly stuff... like waiting for the RevB 12"Pb to add DVI & USB2.0... but it boosts sales I guess??)

A lot of marketing I suppose. Sometimes it really sucks. Well, one of the reasons I had my heart set on the current 12" PB is because it truly is worthy of the Powerbook badge. (Others complained that the Rev. A 12-inchers were just aluminum iBooks.) I hope they don't pull a bunch of that marketing crap for the next batch, but they probably will. I suspect the 12" models and the combo-drive 15" model to just get a bump to 1.5 GHz if the top two models go with a new chip (be it G5 or e600).

Speaking of which, what does an e600 top out at anyway? If they make their way into the 'books, what processor speeds can we expect and how do they compare with G4 clock speeds? Damn, where's thatwendigo when you need him? ;)

Squire

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Freescale's Offerings

Google is great, eh?

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,,4126_3482_23,00.html

Next-Generation Performance Today: The e500 Core and Platform
Customers who require higher performance can step up to the e500 core and corresponding e500 platform, which power Freescale’s award-winning PowerQUICC III communications processors. Currently scaling up to 1 GHz, the high-performance e500 core is planned to exceed 1.5 GHz in next-generation process technologies. The e500 core delivers flexibility for application-specific optimizations and leverages application processing units (APUs) for instruction set extensions that are provided for by the PowerPC instruction set architecture. The e500 core is designed to be highly configurable and meet the specific needs of the embedded market, enabling flexible SoC platform solutions that provide an optimal balance of performance, advanced features and power consumption.

Delivering Higher Performance: The e600 and e700 Cores and Platforms
The next planned step in Freescale’s performance roadmap is the e600 core and corresponding e600 platform. An enhanced version of the high-performance G4 core used in the award-winning, high-performance MPC74xx family of PowerPC host processors, the e600 core is planned to scale beyond 2 GHz and to support chip multiprocessing (CMP) while maintaining full compatibility with the PowerPC instruction set architecture. Like its G4 predecessor, the superscalar e600 core is designed to issue four instructions per clock cycle (three instructions plus one branch) into eleven independent execution units, and to include a full 128-bit implementation of Freescale's advanced AltiVec Single Instruction Multiple Data (SIMD) vector processing technology.

Freescale Semiconductor also disclosed today at SNDF its plans to develop the next-generation 32/64-bit e700 PowerPC core and corresponding e700 platform. Processor products engineered around Freescale’s forthcoming e700 SoC platform are planned to be capable of running both 32-bit and 64-bit software and scaling to 3 GHz and beyond in next-generation process technologies.

Will these be in the new notebooks? It sure would be nice. I think I recall thatwendigo saying that they're pin-compatible with the current G4 chips, too. Hmmm...

Squire

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
Squire said:
Speaking of which, what does an e600 top out at anyway? If they make their way into the 'books, what processor speeds can we expect and how do they compare with G4 clock speeds? Damn, where's thatwendigo when you need him? ;)

Squire

I think someone told him off in a different thread... Check out
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=02VS0l72156402

There´s lot of info on their site, let´s just hope their plans materialise.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
Belly-laughs said:
I think someone told him off in a different thread... Check out
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/overview.jsp?nodeId=02VS0l72156402

There´s lot of info on their site, let´s just hope their plans materialise.
I was just reading that page, too. It's basically the same thing but that chart is interesting. It sort of puts things in perspective.

Squire

<edit> So, their PPC roadmap was announced in April. How much progress could they make in 4 months?

Attachments

• PPCCORES2.jpg
    PPCCORES2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 270

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
It is sad that I think freescale will be the hardest comapny to convince apple to put there stuff in it. I don't think they will be putting in new G4's in any rev d's pbooks(rev c for 15") G4's yet. Freescale still has some ties with moto. That could be what is holding apple back and making a deal with freescale. It is great though that they are planning a 2 Ghz G4 and a 3 Ghz G4 64 bit. But, I think unless they can dramaticly increase fsb on the new G4's( maybe to 500 Mhz) the G4's are pretty much dying and only a matter of time the G5's become cool enough to be in pbooks(sometime next year). I say(this is my opinion) freescale has a very short time to get these new G4's out and impress apple before the end of 2005. It could be even shortier time limit if the pbooks G5 are coming in January- WWDC.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
quagmire said:
It is sad that I think freescale will be the hardest comapny to convince apple to put there stuff in it. I don't think they will be making any rev d's pbooks(rev c for 15") G4's yet. Freescale still has some ties with moto and apple is possibly ignoring or taking a little interest with freescale knowing its past. It is great though that they are planning a 2 Ghz G4 and a 3 Ghz G4 64 bit. But, I think unless they can dramaticly increase fsb on the new G4's( maybe to 500 Mhz). I have no clue what is actually going on at apple. But, if knowing Jobs is being closed minded on the mac before, I think since Moto blew it Jobs is very close minded on them now. But, this is my opinion.

I know what you're saying but I think, for the exact reasons you stated, the chances of seeing Freescale's products in Macs are higher. I mean, Steve's ego is not a secret but we're seeing G4s in Macs now. Why? Well, because, despite the bitterness about Motorola's incompetence, there's no other alternative. So, Motorola spins off the semiconductor division and calls it Freescale. Jobs and co. can fire up a lawsuit aimed at Moto and, at the same time, place massive orders of their (err...Freescale's) great new offerings without losing face. Everybody wins.

Then again, I could be wrong. ;)

Squire

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Squire said:
I know what you're saying but I think, for the exact reasons you stated, the chances of seeing Freescale's products in Macs are higher. I mean, Steve's ego is not a secret but we're seeing G4s in Macs now. Why? Well, because, despite the bitterness about Motorola's incompetence, there's no other alternative. So, Motorola spins off the semiconductor division and calls it Freescale. Jobs and co. can fire up a lawsuit aimed at Moto and, at the same time, place massive orders of their (err...Freescale's) great new offerings without losing face. Everybody wins.

Then again, I could be wrong. ;)

Squire

You replied when I was editing my post. But, to your reply. I would think Jobs is smarter then that. If he sue's moto and buys freescale chips, I am sure what ever moto lost in the lawsuit, they would gain back in the chips sold. I think Jobs see's that and instead after the transtion to G5's, he will not buy anymore chips from them.

Then again I also could be wrong. ;)

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
quagmire said:
You replied when I was editing my post. But, to your reply. I would think Jobs is smarter then that. If he sue's moto and buys freescale chips, I am sure what ever moto lost in the lawsuit, they would gain back in the chips sold. I think Jobs see's that and instead after the transtion to G5's, he will not buy anymore chips from them.

I'm no expert on corporate law but Freescale is, as far as I know, a completely different entity. If Apple sued Moto, I think that would hurt their (Moto's) bottom line. Conversely, if Apple bought Freescale chips, that would boost theirs. Does anyone know anything about post-spinoff corporate relationships?

Legal matters aside, again, Apple might have no choice but to go with e600 chips. Or, they just may be the best option. Who knows? Then again, IBM could be madly working on a mobile version of the G5.

quagmire said:
Thanks for the link. So there is 3 unknown computers coming. Those 2 powerbooks(7,1 and 7,2) and that lonely Powermac 9,1.

Back to the original matter, I wonder what the Powermac will be? Could it be the "Cube 2" Mac fans have been craving?

Squire

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Squire said:
I'm no expert on corporate law but Freescale is, as far as I know, a completely different entity. If Apple sued Moto, I think that would hurt their (Moto's) bottom line. Conversely, if Apple bought Freescale chips, that would boost theirs. Does anyone know anything about post-spinoff corporate relationships?

Back to the original matter, I wonder what the Powermac will be? Could it be the "Cube 2" Mac fans have been craving?

Squire

Powermac 9,1 is 2 possibilties.

1. Powermac G6( really doubtfull)

2. a whole new computer line( big chance)

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
What a 20th anniversery this would be is apple released all this stuff at Paris. We would have:

imac G5

15" and 17" powerbooks going G5

12" gets new G4 or gets killed

and a whole new computer( maybe a cube resurrection)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
People start getting 2.0GHz PowerMac G5s with the PPC970FX this month and the 1.8GHz machine had momentary stall in shipping recently (maybe they'll make the switch to 90nm.)

So it finally looks like the problems with the 90nm process are worked out enough to get some of the 970FX PowerMacs out the door.

Good news for people actually wanting the iMac G5 soon.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Didn't I say it before?...

quagmire said:
What a 20th anniversery this would be is apple released all this stuff at Paris. We would have:

imac G5

15" and 17" powerbooks going G5

12" gets new G4 or gets killed

and a whole new computer( maybe a cube resurrection)

You're right, the 12" as Powerbook will be history, we will see 13", 15" & 17" models, 12" & 14" will stay as iBooks, giving wide-screen format to the pro-line and 4:3 for the average joe... Do not forget me... ;)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Squire said:
Could you please explain how you know (or expect) the new Powerbooks to have different chips? This just might be good news for me. I cancelled my Powerbook order yesterday (shipping delays) and decided to wait for the next revision.

Squire
Just a bit of extrapolation. The move from PowerBook 3,x to 5,x resulted in an upgrade to the chipset (new bus, memory, etc.). I'd expect the same for the move to 7,x.

What degree of change is anybody's guess. It's possible that they'll keep the 7447 but upgrade the bus and memory somehow. But more likely--this is pure speculation on my part--the upgrade will be more dramatic. To a IBM 97x or Freescale e600.

For my money, I'm betting on a G5. Apple has practically confirmed that they are currently working on fitting the G5 into the PBs. Also see:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3639825.stm
https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031103185309.shtml

The freescale offerings sound nice but they haven't actually delivered on the e600 or e700. It's all vaporware until they actually ship something. (Yes, I'm aware that the e300 and e500 are shipping. But they've always been able to deliver on the low-power embedded stuff.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.