PDA

View Full Version : Why does it take so long to come out with 4G iPod cases?

hkriffraff
Aug 9, 2004, 10:42 PM
The 4G iPod has been out for around 3 weeks but there's still no sign of updated cases from any of the makers. This is amazing! I mean, it's just a simple plastic mould or stitched nylon/leather case...you'd think some enterprising person would have a Chinese factory churning them out within a day of the announcement.

SolidGun
Aug 9, 2004, 10:52 PM
If you want to make one and market it you will realize that it takes a long time to find the design and the right market for it. Along with all the risks of marketing an item like that and.....

iSkin is coming out with a case this month. It is like Evo or Exo. I have always used iSkin cases for my iPods and PB and that is why I am telling you about the iSkin product. As for others I am sure it will be out by Sept.

hkriffraff
Aug 9, 2004, 11:13 PM
Isn't it basically just a matter of modifying the existing design - filling in the 4 button holes and re-aligning the scroll wheel?

Meanwhile my poor iPod is already covered in scratches :(

yinyang
Aug 9, 2004, 11:17 PM
try this case - just out!! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56170&item=5714169581&rd=1

Nspace
Aug 9, 2004, 11:22 PM
Yeha I am also waiting paitiently for the iPod 4G cases. After 5 days I have accepted the fact that the iPod IS going to get scratched up.

I figure I will probably go with a RadTech sleeve since they are real thin when they are available on Sept 1st (according to their site) and order some of that ice cream stuff and give it a polish before I put it in the casing.

I guess there are many reasons it takes a bit. They have to modify it, make sure it fits just perfect, and manufacture enough so that they don't have a shortage by the time they go on sale i guess.

tech4all
Aug 9, 2004, 11:24 PM
try this case - just out!! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56170&item=5714169581&rd=1

:confused: :eek:

I don't think companies have much risk putting out a new case and finding their market. It isn't really a new product but rather a new verision of the case; whereas if it were a new product, they would want to wait to see how iPod sells, and we all know it's selling like hotcakes :p So my guess is that they're in production and we'll see them shortly as said above :) I'm wondering when there coming with new cases as well, I got my iPod and I'm a bit nervous of exposing it since the new 4G don't come with a case :mad: And I personally don't see why and how the Apple case can cost $40....

mlw1235
Aug 9, 2004, 11:35 PM
I just bought a Belkin Case from Target yesterday...$15 shows the 3G in it, but the 4G works and fits fine in it

iPod Case (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201526&pcount=&Product_Id=165259)

.Andy
Aug 9, 2004, 11:44 PM
I guess it'll take even longer for these cases to get to Aus :(.

In the meantime I've been using a bright orange kids sock - I think it was baby size 00. Looks kinda cool, fits like a charm, and i got two of them for $AU2. The clickwheel is really easy to use without taking it out as well. no scratches on my pod either.....yet :).

jackieonasses
Aug 9, 2004, 11:48 PM
there are plenty of cleaners on the market that actually work!

comictimes
Aug 10, 2004, 12:17 AM
It's not a matter of designing new cases so much as, I'm assuming, the fact that they have to have enough of the new cases made to be able to fill the customer orders. So they can probably have satisfactory cases designed within a few days of the ipod release, but then they have to get the factories to start pumping them out, and have several thousand (at least) made before they can start selling them...

Abstract
Aug 10, 2004, 12:23 AM
Yeah, its not as easy as it sounds. They actually have to design it, and probably get some sort of moulding for the new iPod's dimensions. If its too loose, or too tight, or difficult to get on, then they have produced thousands of products that don't work. I'm assuming it'll take a week to get it perfect. Then they have to produce tens of thousands of these babies before they can ship them. Why? Because they're not Apple, and will make sure that if there's a store in New York that has them, they'll also be available somewhere in San Diego as well. Same with stores in Australia, the UK, and such. People from all over the world use these same cases, so they're likely to wait until they can fulfill a moderate portion of their orders before shipping. Its more fair, I think. :)